What do I need to get for my Post-Op Kitchen??

shellyb1203
on 2/12/13 11:34 am
VSG on 09/20/13

I am planning on having the VSG surgery soon.   I was wondering what should I be stocking up on in my kitchen, and what appliances (scale, cups, etc) should I also make sure purchase.

ALL advice appreciated.  Thanks!

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

Tammy H.
on 2/22/13 8:06 pm - Greenville, OH

Beef and chicken broth...sugar free pudding/jello...sugar free popcycles...bottled water is easier to keep track of how much you are drinking.

Bullets are nice for making slushies, protein drinks...I also bought small plastic baby sized containers with lids at the Dollar tree for a dollar...You can make up jello & pudding ahead and have it ready for when you want it...You can also make up chili and freeze it...Or put refried beans in them...I also ate with a baby spoon which helped me to not eat too fast, and getting sick over it...Smaller plates and bowls tricks the mind to think you are getting a lot of food when actually you aren't...Ive been out 7 years almost and my mind still wants to fill those big plates full of food, even though I know that I can't eat that much food.

Be sure to take your measurements before the surgery, so you can keep track of how many inches you lose...Also keeping a journal helps to keep control of any stress that you might go through, plus its always neat to read back months, years later to see your progress...

Keep notebook paper on hand, so you can make out a menu plan/grocery list...Buy only those foods on the list, if possible...Plus jot down what you eat and drink each day as it helps you to look back on what you ate that perhaps you shouldn't have, this way you can make changes if need be...Might want to pick up some books/magazines to read once you get home from the hospital...All those tv commercials, all those food cooking shows really got on my nerves the first few weeks...

Might need a recliner to sleep in the first few days/ up to a week or so...Much easier to get in and out of...Have lip balm on hand as your mouth will get dry...Toss some in your purse as you will need it at the hospital.

Hope these ideas helped...Good luck in your surgery!!!

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

shellyb1203
on 3/8/13 11:31 am
VSG on 09/20/13

Thank you so much for your response.  I never thought of the baby spoon idea.   That sounds like it would work perfectly for me.  I have been doing the smaller bowls and dishes trick for awhile now...just have to go smaller :)   

What about food scales?   Any suggestions there?   Or should I just use regular measuring cups?

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

Tammy H.
on 3/8/13 3:17 pm - Greenville, OH

I used measuring cups, and it worked just fine...Guess it just depends on whatever is easiest for you...Most of the time, to be honest, my tummy told me when to stop eating.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

Most Active