Iron infusion are there any alternatives?

harleigh2002
on 4/2/11 5:44 am - Bonner Springs, ks
I am 6 years post op and having to go through weekly iron infusion treatments. As these are helping, I would like to know if any of you know of alternatives to this. Its getting to the point of me feeling very ill with a headache after the treatments. My hemotologist does not seem to want to offer any alternatives.  I am also having a hard time loosing the weight from my preganacy. I am 210lbs and trying to get back down to 150lbs. I know go back to basics but even that doesnt seem to be working.  Any suggestions?  
Amy R.
on 4/2/11 6:24 am, edited 4/2/11 6:27 am
Are you getting the infusions because your iron is way, WAY too low, or because you can't tolerate oral iron?

Just asking, because I found out I'll probably need them indefinately since I am perniciously anemic (my iron/ferritin numbers are in the low single digits right now) but I DID finally find an oral iron I could tolerate. I still have to do both, but keeping up with the oral has enabled some folks to not have to do the infusions.

ETA: As for the weight loss, I'm not as far out as you are so it might be different, but have you tried adding extra protein into your diet? Every time I stalled or started to re-gain I've added an extra shake or two a day for a while and it seems to work wonders, in just a matter of days. Good luck, and congrats on the baby!
poet_kelly
on 4/2/11 6:28 am - OH
Heme iron maybe, but I'm sure it depends on how low you are.  You may still need some infusions.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

celestialazure
on 3/29/21 2:10 pm

I found this liquid supplement, its availbable OTC... unfortunaltey my insurance will probably not approve the IV therapy so I am going to present this to my Endo.

FERRETTS IPS

https://www.pharmicsvitamins.com/a-practical-alternative-to- iv-iron/

https://www.pharmicsvitamins.com/ferretts-ips-liquid-iron-su pplement-8-fl-oz/

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 495 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 367 views