What should I expect?

allvalerie
on 4/22/11 4:03 am - Seward, AK
I had two-

First one was great- very nice lady who had worked with a lot of weight loss surgery patients. She asked questions on my eating habits, what I expect from surgery, the risks, my support etc

Second one was like the others said- A joke. All he wanted to know if I was mentally there or not. He asked me questions like

What does the phrase 'strike while the iron is hot mean to you'?
How many times have you flown across the Atlantic?
What is 48 divided by 6?
And he had me name some objects in the room like his coat, a cabinet, and a bag.

Then I took a written test which basically asked the same questions over and over about drug use.

Either way- you should do fine.
Valerie
steve D.
on 4/22/11 4:47 am - West Fargo, ND
After mine, the person who did the eval was concerned that I might fail at my WLS.  She was very close to the truth.  I have some real behavioral issues with eating.  The good news is that I am aware of them and trying to deal with them.

For some of us, eating is why we have this surgery.  It helped to know that I had to be on guard.

Steve

nfarris79
on 4/22/11 5:34 am - Germantown, MD
 Wow, some of those posts made me cringe.... I hope I never come off as disinterested to my clients.... Anyway....

Jessika, it may depend how much expertise your evaluator has in WLS. Some surgeons refer specifically to people who have training, and they may be asking things like what you expect from the surgery, how good your support is, if there's any disordered eating in your past (e.g. anorexia or bulemia). Some insurance companies require psychologists or psychiatrists to do the eval. That may explan some people's experiences with testing (MMPI, IQ). The person I saw was a counselor and RN who had general experience with health psychology but not necessarily WLS. I chose her because the people my surgeon referred didn't take my insurance (BCBS) and as a therapist, I figured I could find someone more than adequate. I was very honest and it showed in the report she wrote..... Good luck!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

jfab1978
on 4/22/11 5:52 am - CA
Thank you everyone for the feedback, hopefully I won't have a dud and will be able to gain some personal insight from the evaluation. 
Price S.
on 4/22/11 5:56 am - Mills River, NC
I had a long questionare that had to be turned in a week or so before the meeting.  We discussed the answers and she went into depth looking for any issues that could cause problems after surgery like emotional eating, stress eating, support systems, etc.  She told me that day I "passed" and they proceeded to send in you packet to insurance.  I just answered everything as best I could. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

jossiern07
on 4/22/11 6:04 am
I had to take a 100 question test, it was silly questions like do you feel depressed...ect, also the doc ask you questions about your lfe and how your family feels about the journey are they supportive ect. you will do just fine.

CarolineM
on 4/22/11 6:23 am
 My appointment was with a clinical social worker, and lasted 45 minutes. Before the appointment, I'd filled out and mailed her a questionnaire about my experience with depression, eating disorders, family support, psychiatric history.

The actual meeting with her was like sitting and chatting with a new friend, mostly about my history with dieting, and how successful I'd been. Or not been.

Pretty painless, no MMPI or other tests, and I got the feeling that it's pretty rare she would recommend someone not get the surgery.

Caroline
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

pinkypromise93
on 4/22/11 9:02 am
Amen to the advice already given. I thought my eval was awful, but after I talked to everyone here I realized I actually had a good one. We talked about alot, childhood, current status, etc. That was the first visit and on the second visit I had a written test that was 300+ questions. You will do fine! Good Luck

Kathy M.
on 4/22/11 10:43 am - summershade, KY
Kathy M.
on 4/22/11 10:49 am - summershade, KY
mine ask me if I every seen or heard things that was not there if I ever was  put on med's  for my nerves or put in the hospital just relax's and  I let her ask me questions mine lasted 10 mins

Kathy M

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 496 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 495 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 369 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 84 views