Drinking Alcohol

RellyRell922
on 4/25/11 12:27 am - Columbia, MD
How far out should you be before taking a drink or smoking again.
Frank_B
on 4/25/11 12:34 am - Woodbridge, NJ
Smoking can and most likely will  cause an ulcer  i would advise against starting that up again  (of course this is only my opinion)

__Laura__
on 4/25/11 12:36 am
Honestly - IMO (and my doctors) - you shouldn't ever drink or smoke again.
Goodbye 260's, 250's, 240's, 230's, 220's, 210's, 200's... Hello 190's!  

J_J
on 4/25/11 12:38 am - Barrie, Canada
I was told that I could not have any alcohol before 2 years post op...and then it should be only very small amounts on occasion.  Everyone needs to be careful with this as addiction transference can occur.

I was not a smoker per-op...but in the general meeting they discouraged ever smoking again.

Hope this helps.

sophielyn
on 4/25/11 12:51 am
First .. ask your surgeon what he recommends.

I had a drink about 3 mos out; and still enjoy a ****tail occassionally.  As far as smoking, I have been told it will cause an ulcer.  I have never been a heavy smoker but if I was partying I tended to smoke while drinking.  Not good for me now!

laura_vermont
on 4/25/11 12:52 am
I think I was told to wait 18 months on alcohol.  But, I have tried it a couple of times.  1/2 a drink is too much now.  If you must, try it at home 1st -- and definiltey don't plan on driving even if you've only had a few sips.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Kim S.
on 4/25/11 12:55 am - Helena, AL
Oh Lord!  You've kicked a hornet's nest for sure on this one--be prepared for the answers you'll get!!

I had wine after 3 months.  1/2 glass and not very often.  I really didn't drink much that first year.  Now that I'm at goal I drink on the weekends (two drinks is all I can handle).  And I can drink whatever I want--but be careful, you may get drunk a lot faster than before (I sure do!).  I would try things at home first to make sure you can tolerate it.

You should follow the advice of your surgeon/NUT but you have to make decisions based on what is best for you--I wish you much success.

P.S.  I've read a lot on here about transfer addiction--so if you are addictive in nature, or have a family history, you may want to tread lightly...........

Amy R.
on 4/25/11 1:59 am
Totally agree with everything Kim said.  I drink whatever, whenever I want now ( I just don't want to more than once every few months) and I had my first glass of wine at 3 months out.

Just be careful and don't plan to drive.  I'd def try drinking at home first to make sure you don't dump and to find out how you react. 

And you HAVE kicked a hornets nest, people feel very strongly about this.  Some feel so strongly that they want everyone to do exactly what they do/say. Just remember, your's is the only opinion that ultimately matters in this situation.  You're a grown up, and it's your body.
Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 4/25/11 2:30 am - East Haven, VT
well said...couldn't agree more with it all.

I "tasted" the waters early out, maybe even before 3 months? anywho...I drank before surgery and I plan to drink now that I'm post op.  I enjoy socially drinking but have learned to limit myself.  I no longer put down a 18 rack in one sitting but rather over 2 months lol. I enjoy the taste of alcohol, so I refuse to give it up, just my own personal opinion.

I was recently informed that liver failure common with WLS patients because they over indulge, anyone else hear that?
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Pretty Butterfly
on 4/25/11 1:15 am
My opinion only.....smoking ......NEVER!

Drinking.....6 months or more out. However, we're all different. I'm 20 months out and still can't tolerate sugary mixed drinks....like magarita's etc. I can handle wine though with no problems.

Take your time and try small amounts of alcoholic beverages before you fully indulge. :-)

Annelle

Surgery Date 9/9/2009
Starting Weight 395
Goal Weight 200
Current Weight 242

153lbs LOST....so far!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?