drain tube??

DebbieH2011
on 5/4/11 2:05 pm - CA
does everyone have a drain tube when they go home from the hospital?  How did I miss this in the literature they gave me?

Mindy M.
on 5/4/11 2:09 pm
I had one......... Im not going to lie to you.... it was very uncomfortable when they removed it. I jus had it done yesterday...
Katiebell07
on 5/4/11 2:15 pm - FL
 it was more annoying then anyhthing hanging there!! i didnt think it hurt coming out it was VERY weird feeling!
Carrie W.
on 5/4/11 2:15 pm - KY
I didn't have one.

My doctor said that he puts one in when it's needed and there's no way to tell until he got in there.  That was one of the first things I asked when I came to, lol.  

My coworker who had the same surgeon had a drain tube but he had a hernia repair at the same time.  His wife is a OR nurse so he didn't have trouble taking care of it and the removal was a non-issue according to him.  

I would stress too much about it. 

Good luck!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

poet_kelly
on 5/4/11 2:19 pm - OH
No, not everyone does.  I did not even have one in the hospital.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

newtintn
on 5/4/11 2:26 pm - TN
 No not eveyrone has one but i think most do. I had one...it was i think the 3rd one ive ever had and it annoyed the HELL out of me! Im a tummy sleeper and it made it hard to get comfortable, but I managed. I got mine out today and it was odd feeling when she took it out. Told me to hold me breath and she pulled and for about 2 seconds I felt neaseaus...but im SO glad its gone! YAYAYAY! Its not bad honestly, just more of an inconvenience than anything else. 

skabets112
on 5/4/11 3:34 pm
I had one when I was in the hospital, mind you I had a 5 day stay afterward (common practice here if you go under anesthesia). I had mine for 2 or 3 days (I can't remember). It was more of a relief than anything when it was removed!

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 4:46 pm - NY
I had one, it was suppossed to come out a week later than it did but I was in so much pain and it wasn't suctioning all that well since I had leakage at the sight. My dr told me everyone has a different reaction when it comes out, I thought it was worse then childbirth, and screamed when he literally yanked it out. Thankfully my husband wasn't in the room or he would've passed out.

Good luck.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/11 10:40 pm - OH
No, not everyone has a drain (and some who DO have them, have them removed before the leave the hospital).  My surgeon does not put in drains at all.  In certain cases, she may put in a gastric tube (into the remnant stomach), but that is rare.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gochristy1971
on 5/5/11 1:01 am - CA
I have to confess something here...before surgery, my "vision" of a drain tube was very similar to what it actually was, except I thought the outside end was open...so I visualized me having to carry around an emesis basin to let the "stuff" drain into!  Ok, so I'm pretty naive!  LOL

I did have a drain tube, and it was annoying more than anything, because I didn't know what the heck it was!  It came out the day after surgery--it felt very weird coming out, but I was so relieved!
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Most Active
Recent Topics