To Jerky or not

SelfPay
on 5/25/11 7:37 am
I've seen it on the menu from my NUT and today I passed it in the asile at the grocery store.  The package shouts out the high protien and soft texture. 

Frankly, I'd love to have some but, just looking at it along with my past eating history with Beef Jerky makes me feel that it may not be welcomed by my new pouch in the next few weeks.  I'd think you'd have to chew the living daylights out of it in order for it to pass through with any hangups?

Thoughts?
Amy R.
on 5/25/11 7:41 am
I love jerky and eat it a lot, but I wouldn't have tried it as early out as you are. (Actually I COULDN'T have because I was not allowed solids until 9 weeks.) It's yummy and an excellent source of protein, but you might want to check with your surgeon to see if it's okay to try this soon.

Best of luck to you in your journey and congrats on your surgery!
SelfPay
on 5/25/11 7:46 am
Agree, I'm not having it this soon after the surgery.  Just seeing it as part of my nearer future once I'm on solids.
gochristy1971
on 5/25/11 8:00 am - CA
I had some last Saturday and yes, I had to chew the heck out of it, but it settled nicely in my pouch.

Right now, chicken is not doing well for me, but the jerky did!
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/25/11 8:17 am - OH
I am almost 4 years post-op and I still don't eat jerky because my surgeon strongly emphasizes the need for us to always chew our food well (not just the first couple of months post-op) and I simply cannot chew jerky thoroughly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

psx chelly
on 5/25/11 8:23 am

I eat Jack Links Original.  Its soft, and can chew up nicely.  Its also 15g protein for 1oz, and very low carb.  I think there are only 4 or 5 carbs per serving.

lynnc99
on 5/25/11 8:44 am
I am not a fan. I've tried it but it's very salty and I just can't chew it enough.
katheek
on 5/25/11 10:54 am - Cosmopolis, WA
Hey we had the same surgeon.  The NUT at Virginia Mason does say that we can eat Jerky but as others have said, not yet for you.  I haven't tried it yet but I am going too.  I have got the chewing thing down pat and nothing has been a problem for me (knocking on wood).  What I have seen posted is alot of people use it as a snack so it sounds to me that they are not making a meal out of it so to chew an ounce during snack time really doesn't seem that bad.  I read here on OH that of course jerky has a lot of sodium and I think? people said that if we eat jerky to drink more water. 

KATHEE K

lptazbear66
on 5/25/11 11:00 am - Murfreesboro, TN
This seems to be one of those individuals respond so differently too questions.  My Dr and NUT encouraged beef jerky (which I thought odd).  I also thought it would be difficult.  I started eating it about 4 mths out and it has never been hard to go down (but I still don't eat steak at 10 mths).  I know...weird.  I worry sometimes that it is just too much sodium but it is a great source of protein and I get tired of the protein drinks and bars so I do the jerky. 

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
ephraimmeir77
on 5/25/11 1:11 pm - CA
Just got my dehydrater today so I can make my own Jerky. I am super excited. High protien and low fat. I just make sure to chew it really well.
Ephraim Osgood

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 224 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views