Frustrated- Need Reassurance

Tammy G.
on 5/31/11 9:53 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Howdy everyone,

First off, I am 2 weeks pre-op.  I have been on low carb (30 grms) high protein (60+ grms) pre-op diet for 2 weeks, with 2 weeks to go.  It is not a big deal because I've change my eating habits in the last year all ready, as a lifestyle change.  The thing I miss the most being on this diet is my daily banana + yogurt breakfast, but I can live without them for now (I do have 4 oz of yogurt every other day).

I would expect that I would have lost some weight.  I started my weight loss journey with a BMI of 82.  I am now 77.  Yep, I'm short and round at 5'2 and right now 423.  A year ago I was 456.  I log every thing that goes into my mouth.  I don't eat processed foods.  I don't eat fast food.  I don't eat pasta, potatoes or bread. I don't drink my calories. Sometimes I will have more cheddar cheese than I am supposed to, but for the most part I follow my good habits.  My diet for the last year has been lean meats of all variety, fish, lowfat dairy, eggs, non-starchy vegetables, and fruits, mostly bananas, pineapple, mango, melons, and apples.   My log reports say my average daily caloric intake for the year is around 1100 calories.

And I've only lost 30 pounds in a year.  I have rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease, which causes a great deal of inflammation in my body.  Inflammation causes pain.  Pain keeps me from exercising like I should.  I've met with a physiologist and we've worked around my physical disabilities, but I still know I'm not getting enough exercise, especially cardio.

I wonder if I am not getting an accurate view of weight loss because of edema.  I know one gallon of fluid weighs 8 pounds.  I was hospitalized with congestive heart failure in 2007 and in the hospital they 'drained' almost 60 pounds of fluid off of me in 36 hours.  I have constant edema, but I am not at all waterlogged like I was when I was hospitalized.

I am just so frustrated.  This weight needs to come off!  I've done everything I've been told to do--but because the weight doesn't fall off I don't think my nutritionist believes me.  I think he thinks I am lying to myself about my true eating patterns and food logs.  I AM NOT.  I've had extensive counseling over the years and know that some of what led me to getting this fat was sexual trauma when I was 8 years old.  I needed the fat to protect that little girl, but I am NOT that little girl anymore.  I want out of this cocoon of fat.

What ifs keep me awake at night.  What if I have this surgery, which is really risky at my BMI and with my health problems, and I still don't lose weight?  What if I don't make it off the table?  What if I become even sicker and an even more burden on my family?  I HATE these negative thoughts that come on in the middle of the night.  I log on to OH and troll through the before and after pics, gaining hope and perspective.

And on top of all of this, I am traveling for surgery.  Not too far--8 hours, but my surgeon wants me to stay 2 weeks after surgery.  It is going to be a hardship, but I've already got everything set up.  I am hoping to be released to go home before the 2 weeks is up, but I was told to be prepared.  At least the place I am staying post-op is an apartment complex turned into a hotel, so my 'suite' is actually a one bedroom apartment, completely furnished with a full kitchen.  My daughter and 5 year old grandson will be with me.  That is going to be a challenge in itself, but Austin will have plenty of things for them to do while I recuperate (and hopefully I can make some of the less challenging outings).

I know this is a lot, but I really needed to get some of this stuff out.  If you read this far, thank you.
Cheryl Allan
on 5/31/11 10:06 pm - Canada
I think loosing 130 lbs in one year is amazing, You sound like you are eating right and your NUT should be pleased with your process so far I mean 130 lbs in one year is more than what she could ask for, I hope your surgery goes fine and 2 weeks is just to keep you near since you are so far away I myslef had to stay for one week after as I am 7 hours away from My Dr, I felt I could have gone home on day 3 but a holiday none the less being away from home .....Hope everything goes well and keep up the great work you have done so far I think you're amazing
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

onlyoneboy
on 5/31/11 10:07 pm - St. Paul Park, MN
Hi Tammy
I'm glad you stopped by and left us a little part of yourself.  I don't have alot that I can advise you on except for the extended stay at the hospital.  I ended up having complications after lap RNY and was in for 10 days instead of 2.  My hospital was only 25 minutes from home but I had, at the time, a 5 year old.  My hubby was great in that he brought my son up to visit every other day and I made videos from my phone to e-mail him when he couldn't come visit.  I'll tell you right now surgery for me was very hard, and sometimes I wished I wouldn't have done it.  But now almost 1 year out I would do it all over again.  I didn't have a lot to loose, I was 208lbs at 5ft 0.  But I had acid reflux so bad my esophagus was eroding away.  I'm now down to 132lbs, no longer have any heartburn, can sleep lying flat and can run. 

Good Luck and keep us updated on how things are going.

Carebearny1999
on 5/31/11 10:27 pm - Rochester, NY
I started at 453, I feel your pain!! All I can offer is I did a 2 week liquid diet pre-op where I had 3 protein shakes a day and "cheated" and had steamed veggies with some A-1 on them (needed SOME flavor!!) and lost 20 pounds pre-op. I have fibromyalgia, and with all the autoimmune stuff in my family we suspect I have one of them, just God knows which one! My RA factor was "elevated" but not high enough for a diagnosis. Know that my 122 pounds lost does NOT include exercise! I was petrified I wouldn't make it off the table, but I did, and down to a size 22/24 from a 34+ I consider myself a success! Hang in there!!
Laura in Texas
on 5/31/11 11:39 pm
I noticed you are in Odessa.  I grew up there!!  I'm surprised you aren't going to Dr. Syn in Lubbock (he's fabulous and much closer than Austin).

I'm sure you will be fine.  Try to relax!! (I did not lose a single pound on my 6 month supervised diet.  Not being successful pre-op is no indicator of how you'll do post-op)

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

laura_vermont
on 6/1/11 12:05 am
I agree with the other Laura.... I didn't lose any weight until they scheduled my date for surgery and nerves took my appetite away.  Even the full liquid diet, I only lost 1lb.  I figured that even surgery wouldn't help if I didn't lose weight on that!  BUT -- it did! 

Also, your edema and imflamation issues could really be inflating your numbers. 

BTW -- most of us are really nervous about surgery -- the unknown is scary.  I can tell you, that there is no food that I miss.  (There are occasions where I wish I could eat more than I can... but that's a different issue.)

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Carrie W.
on 6/1/11 12:19 am - KY
Hi Tammy! I think with your medical issues, losing 30lbs pre-op is great!

And you've developing some healthy eating habits that can only help you post-op. Don't let the nutritionist get you down. He doesn't live in your body with your RA, he doesn't understand.

Has your doctor talked to you about the risks? I'm sure he wouldn't be proceeding with the surgery if he wasn't confident in the success of the surgery. Has he talked to you about alternative pain meds post-op when you can't take NSAIDS?

Do a search on here for RA and RNY. You might just happen upon somebody JUST LIKE YOU! This place is truly a blessing that way.

Chin up, girlfriend! Take care and good luck!! We're all pulling for you.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

mickeypal
on 6/1/11 1:51 am - Tell City, IN
I have arthritis in my knees and could hardly walk after surgery.  I was using a walker.  Then I started going to a pool 3 times a week, just to walk and kick my legs, it has helped a lot!!!!
Surgery 3/1/2011

Amy R.
on 6/1/11 6:38 am
Hi Tammy!

I don't usually wave the DS flag and I'm very happy with my RnY, but wanted to see if you had considered the DS when choosing your surgery type? Normally I wouldn't even ask this question of anyone, but when you say you've only lost 30lbs in a YEAR of eating carefully, I'm wondering if your metabolism is severely compromised. The DS is apparently very good at correcting/adjusting/offsetting/whatever metabolic issues.

I realize you are only two weeks pre-op, but if you haven't looked at the DS you may want to take a peek before you go under the knife.

PLEASE don't take this as a criticism of your surgery choice, because it's not. Because of your situation, I just felt like I wanted to make sure you had gotten a chance to learn about all of your options, and I know many folks aren't really aware of the DS.

Best of luck in your journey =)

Judi J.
on 6/1/11 6:55 am - MN
Hi Tammy: congrats on changing your eating habits! I have to ditto what Amy said.

I think with your BMI the RNY may not help you lose as much weight as you want/need.
Also your metabolism sounds like it is very slow and the DS seems to have better results with that.

Also with the RNY we aren't supposed to take NSAIDS afterwards. With your RA, I'd sure hate to rule this out at the risk of ulcers for the rest of your life.

Have you checked out the DS forum or dsfacts.com?

There aren't a lot of Doctors that perform the DS but there is a Dr. Stewart somewhere in Texas (aren't I helpful?) who has had really good results.

You have worked so hard and we all fear failure. Please double check this option.

But yes, I think the edema totally screws with your weight loss results also. You are going to have to not rely totally on the scale or you will go bonkers.

best of luck to you, I wish you much health in the future!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 261 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 313 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics