Please help!

toria01
on 8/29/11 8:41 am - Paducah, KY
I had Rouxen-Y Bypass on June 1, 2011. Since then, I have only lost 40 lbs. According to my PA, I am still just burning up muscle and not the stored fat. It's been three months! I got the keto sticks to see if I was in ketosis, and still three months later, I am not nor have been in ketosis. I read an article online about this surgery and ketosis and it said that shortly after surgery, the body is burning stored fat and goes into ketosis and that you get lots of energy. I have been very sick, dehydrated, and now when I stand up even slowly i fight to not faint. The surgeon did the scope and took out some staples and said that the opening to my pouch was fine. As things have only gotten worse, he said to drink something warm before eatting. I have tried this but still the food doesn't stay down. I am down from size 4x to a large, but how long can my body burn the muscle? I take the vitamins and drink the protein, which too doesn't always stay down. I am very weak. I even think about the fact that this could be fatal if the muscle keeps being destroyed. What would cause my body to not burn the stored fat? Thanks for any ideals.
Viva
tiffers1971
on 8/29/11 9:45 am - IN
I dont have an answer for you, but i did want to let you know that i'm thinking about you and hope that things will turn around for you.
toria01
on 8/29/11 12:56 pm - Paducah, KY
Thank you very much.
Alice P.
on 8/29/11 9:57 am
How much are you drinking a day?? How much protein are you eating each day? How often are you vomiting? Where did the surgeon take the staples out of?? how long ago was the scope?
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

toria01
on 8/29/11 1:03 pm - Paducah, KY
I drink about 60 oz a day of water. Protein, I use the Syntrax nectar and drink between 60 and 70 gr. a day. Sometimes the protein doesn't stay down. Vomiting,,, at least twice a day and more if I try to eat anything of substance. The scope was done in July. The surgeon said that the staples that he removed was in my stomach and had worked loose. I'm really worried becasue I have children and a disabled child to care for and I don't want anything to happen.
Alice P.
on 8/29/11 10:08 pm
You should NOT be vomitting twice a day especially not just on liquids--sounds like an ulcer or stricture--are you eating any solid food routinely?  I think you need to see your surgeon again or a gastroenteroligist or new surgeon.  Something is NOT right you should not be this sick.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

clang1955
on 8/29/11 11:15 am - TX
 See another doctor if you are not getting the answers to your questions.  That's what I would do...  Please take care of yourself.
toria01
on 8/29/11 1:07 pm - Paducah, KY
That sounds like good advice. I see my regular doctor tomorrow. He doesn't deal alot with the bariatric things but maybe he can refer me to a someone who can. My surgeon is four hours away. I just usually see the PA. Thanks
HappyMango
on 8/29/11 11:31 am - FL
I'm still pre-op and don't have much to really give in advice, other than some of what seems obvious...

I am a bit perplexed at the going from a size 4xl to a large and only have lost 40lbs. 
Did you do any body fat measuring before surgery? 
Can you see a different nutritionist and/or doctor?  And you can keep nothing down?  Not anything?  Did/were you able to follow the diet your surgeon gave you after surgery?  Did you introduce more foods slowly or have you only been doing water and protein and your vitamins?  Can you go smaller on your meals and spread them out more?  I know you are extremely tired but are you working out too?

These aren't really questions for me, per say.  But I'd say to call for another appointment with your doctor and list out your concerns and don't leave until you have answers or options.

toria01
on 8/29/11 1:22 pm - Paducah, KY
Me too. Yes, I have lost 27 inches but only 40 lbs. The PA that I see said that my body was keeping everything that I did eat and storing it as fat as it thinks it's not getting enough food. I don't know if this helps. The reason I had the surgery is to get rid of the stored fat, not keep more. I can keep down popcycles, applesauce and jello. Yes, I went right by the diet and even started back to soft foods when the surgeon whom the PA calls (as he is 4hrs away) said too. The diet went fine until I got past the liquid part. The PA  even said that I was doing everything right. I can't eat fish, chicken, tuna, etc. My stomach hurt alot and I vomit it back up. As far as working out goes, it takes all of my energy just to do the basic things for the kids. I put dinner on to cook and have to sit back down. I fold a load of laundry and am exhausted. I remember being in ketosis on the Nutra System diet and I had tons of energy. I just don't know how to get my body to burn the stored fat so I can get where I need to be. Yes, I drink the water and get all of my proteins and vitamins in. Maybe I can call the surgeon direct and request to speak with him instead of going thru the PA. He mentioned a feeding tube a couple of visits ago, but wouldn't that just make me gain more if my body isn't in ketosis to begin with? I just want this to work. Thanks for brainstorming with me.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 487 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 74 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?