More pre-op doubts

ElleBW
on 9/11/11 4:20 pm - WA
I am struggling... this week is my last pre-op appointment before I get a date, which will probably be October twenty-something. I've lost almost 20 pounds of my weight but I don't know if I can go on another month like this. I'm drinking shakes and eating one meal a day. I started experimenting with different supplements but wasn't prepared for chewing them; I practiced swallowing them. This may be PMS talking, but I really feel like calling it quits. I don't know if I am strong enough to get through this. I've been both inspired and discouraged while reading these posts, your thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Elle

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

Sara L.
on 9/11/11 4:59 pm
Ok, I am totally with you on the pre surgery thing. You have to know that after surgery it will be different than it is now.

That's why we are having the surgery, so that we can retrain our bodies and our minds to eat small portions. I have discovered that alot of my eating is based on how good the food tastes. As part of my pre-op I went to a psychologist, she asked me if I could get the same good feeling from just one bite. At the time I didn't think it was possible. Since then I have been trying to savor just one or two bites of something fabulous. I have been thinking about her question every day.

You will have to find your own way, asking for help and advice is a good step. We all have to decide on our own about the surgery, I know it's the way for me. It might turn out to be your way too, who knows ?

I hope you can work through all the pros and cons to find the right path for you!

With warmest aloha,

Sara in Maui
Momx4kids
on 9/11/11 5:25 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
I by the multi vitamins from costco in the form of gummies... for me that works because I didn't like chewing the suppliments, some of mine are in liquid form..again easier to take. For me it got very easy (after surgery) to stick to eating well because I didn't crave anything or feel hungry.

Momx4kids
on 9/11/11 5:30 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
missjann
on 9/11/11 5:38 pm
It's very common to have second thoughts and doubts as the process
gets nearer. Don't get discouraged.  Nothing about surgery and learning
new eating habits was as difficult as trying to lose weight for over 10
years and watching my health issues escalate. I suggest that you talk
to your doc or surgeon and talk to someone you trust.  Write down your
reasons for wanting the surgery and the risks and pros and cons.  It
will help you focus on what YOU want from the surgery.  For every
procedure, you will hear from folks who thought it was a breeze and
folks *****gret having it done. What's important is that you understand
the risks to having it done and not having it done and that YOU decide
what you can live with.  Good luck!
    Jan

mommustlive
on 9/11/11 8:55 pm - VA
Nothing is as bad as the pre-op phase!  I am about 5 months out and could not be happier that I did it.
AnneGG
on 9/11/11 9:10 pm
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!

Look at this process as practice for doing the rest of your life- one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time.

You CAN do it!

Good for you for getting 20 pounds off already!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

sullysmom
on 9/11/11 10:31 pm
I didn't have to do a preo-op diet and I know I would've found it pretty hard.  Your loss is terrific though and I know that each pound you lose makes it easier for the surgeon to work during the surgery.  Keep doing your best, and I agree, one hr at a time.  Post op is so much easier because you really won't be hungry.  Can you use volume foods for meals like salad, airpopped popcorn?  Drink water, crystal light like crazy too.....fills you up and post op it will be a habit to always have a drink in hand.  Best of luck, you are doing great!
Tim T.
on 9/11/11 10:57 pm - Eastham, MA
You are in the process of preparing for a marathon. Hang in there, the work you are doing now will be so worth it when you are at the starting line and the gun fires. It's hard to describe the comments you will get about how good you look and how good you will feel to be a healthier person. I still just getting used to it and I am only 2+ months out. I have a long way to go but the tool I have been given is making it easy to reach my goals. Stick with it, you'll do fine! 

laura_vermont
on 9/12/11 12:43 am
Hang in there!  I thought that I would have issues being compliant with taking chewables - so at my 6 week post-op appt. I discussed it with my surgeon and started taking pills.  I am 95% compliant now that I dont have to taste them. 

Also, after surgery, *for me* hunger was lessened -- a lot.  I do get hungry, but it's not like before.  That shake, or small meal, will actually satisfy you.  If it did now, you wouldn't need surgery.

PMS definitely doesn't help, btw. 

Take care,
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Most Active
Recent Topics