NSV My guide dog journey

dasie
on 9/21/11 10:10 pm

My NSV.  Being obese affected us all in many different ways.  For me, being an inherent introvert, I always wanted to be invisible in social settings.  When obese even more so.  Add my visual impairment to the mix, and I just wanted to disappear. 

I first  received cane training in 1997, but hated that cane.  Being obese is bad enough, but add the cane,  and people really stare.  As a result, I never learned to use it, and that at my family's expense.  It was a huge eye opener last weekend when both my daughter and husband told me how much easier it was on them for me not to not always have to hold tonto them needing them to point out every obstacle in my path.  They always had to stay on guard not allowing themselves to take anything for granted....cracks in the sidewalk, curbs, stairs,  wet floor signs, little kids, etc.  It really made me feel badly.  I have been selfish not wanting to use my cane putting so much responsibility on them.

What has my weight loss done for me lately?  I have begun using my cane in public.  I no longer have to deal with the obesity and can now focus on my mobility needs.  This surgery has done more for me than I ever realized it could or would.  It really does change our lives in many, many ways.  I love reading about everyones new lives and the opportunities that often come their way as a result of newly found confidence.

So...I have decided to apply for a guide dog.  The process is very similar to WLS in that there are many hoops to jump through, but it will be well worth the effort.  So this surgery has led me full circle in reclaiming my life.  For many of us, obesity  steals more than just our health. 

We have to make the most of this journey.  I am celebrating my WLS journey in a more meaningful way than I ever expected.

jazzycatz
on 9/21/11 10:22 pm - Joppa, MD
Wow, that's excellent news!  Using your cane in public is such a huge step.  Realizing how your lack of willingness to use it affected others is enormous I think.

Good Luck on your quest for a guide dog. 
dasie
on 9/22/11 5:52 am
Thank you...I realize now I really have been selfish about it.  I had an employer once tell me I had toomuch pride.  She was right.  She suggested a dog 7 years ago, but that was not an option I would even consider.  Thank you for your comment.

findingmyself1994
on 9/21/11 10:38 pm

that is wonderful news....you rock!!!

dasie
on 9/22/11 5:53 am
Thank you for the support.

AnneGG
on 9/21/11 10:43 pm
Thank you for your post, Dasie. You are one gutsy and beautiful lady, is all I can say.

It is so true what you say about obesity stealing more than our health.

I am delighted to hear about your cane and your guide dog application!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

dasie
on 9/22/11 5:56 am
Thank you Anne.  I am really excited.  And even if the process is longer than expected, at least I have gotten over a huge hurdle.

laura_vermont
on 9/21/11 11:03 pm
Congratulations.  That really is a huge NSV!  One of the most inspiring ones I've seen here.  I hope that your road to a service animal is smooth and your wait is short!
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

dasie
on 9/22/11 5:57 am
Thank you.  I hope so too. 

kellyl1202
on 9/21/11 11:08 pm
aww that's so exciting! good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 355 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 334 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?