How do you vegetarians get in your protein??

ktharp89
on 9/26/11 4:42 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 I've been craving things like veggie burgers lately but I notice that they don't have much protein? AND I don't like beans too much anymore. So what are your sources of protein?? Any veggie/soy items that are good? 
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Carla M.
on 9/26/11 4:45 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Lots of things have protein in them. I eat a lot of nuts, beans, peas, chickpeas, hummus, lentils.... You'd be surprised at how much protein you can get in vegetables and whatnot.

lilbear412
on 9/26/11 4:46 am - MN
 I am not vegetarian but i bought some boca burgers the other day and they are quite high in protein i thought.  I am guessing vegetarians eat lots of beans and vegies and meats like boca and morningstar and other brands.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/26/11 4:51 am - Baltimore, MD
Correction: they don't have AS MUCH PROTEIN as an equal equivalent of an animal product. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have good protein. But if you're looking for veggies to beat out meat on the protein front - it can be done but with a LOT of hard work!
poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 4:57 am - OH
These veggie burgers have ten grams of protein.  I usually put a slice of cheese on for another seven grams or so.

MorningStar Farms® Garden Veggie Patties™
Veggie Burgers

These have 23 grams of protein per serving.

MorningStar Farms® Meal Starters® Chik'n Strips

I hope those links work.

Morningstar makes some other products with plenty of protein that I like, too.

I do eat a lot of beans.  Until recently I've been eating a lot of yogurt and a lot of cheese, but I am cutting back on dairy products for now, until I can find a place I feel OK about buying milk from.

I drink soy milk.  I eat nuts.

I eat eggs.  I've been doing more eggs lately since I'm doing less dairy and I found a place I feel good about buying eggs from.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 9/26/11 9:47 am - Chandler, AZ
Kelly - I know you love the Chik'n Strips, and thought of you when I saw this recipe. You could use the Morningstar ones instead of the Gardein ones :)

http://www.gardein.com/recipe_detail.php?r=136
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 9:50 am - OH
That looks delicious!  You know, I have not been able to find the chik'n strips lately.  It seems both the Kroger and the Meijer near me quit carrying them.  I wondered if Morningstar quit making them but they still show them on their website.  The other day I bought these Morningstar chicken patties and diced them up to use in stirfry but I didn't like the texture of them.  It was too mushy.  I hate when grocery stores quit carrying things I like.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 9/26/11 9:55 am - Chandler, AZ
They are still on the Morningstar website, so that's a good sign! Maybe talk to the store and see if they stopped carrying them and can bring them back. I used to have to do that a lot when I was veg. 

poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 10:01 am - OH
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to.

Were you a vegetarian before?  And you eat meat now?  Why did you go back to eating meat?  just wondering.

hlacy
on 9/26/11 10:17 am - Chandler, AZ
I was a vegetarian for eight years. Then, as best as I can explain, I really started to crave meat again. I don't know if perhaps I was lacking in some nutrients or protein or something, but it was a very strong craving. I only now eat chicken, turkey and fish. An occasional piece of pork, but only a few times a year. I'll never touch beef or other read meats again, I have no desire whatsoever.

I still think I am a vegetarian at heart. I would order vegetarian a lot of the time when I would eat out; most of my favorite cuisines are vegetarian-based (Indian, Middle Eastern, etc.). The old problem with vegetarian dishes were the carb and fat traps. Give me a great salad and I am happy. I miss salad - I am only 5 weeks out, so it's not allowed yet. I miss raw veggies, too. I know I will be able to have them at some point, but the meat all the time is hard when I don't feel it's really what's in my heart.

I do a lot of chili so I can at least get a lot of beans in. I've always had an issue with food texture, so when I was veg I never ate tofu. I had some the other day, extra firm, coated in herbs and cilantro. So simple, and so good! I need to focus more on things like that. Do you eat tempeh? I love that, too, It's a great source of protein, but I worry about the carbs. I have a sandwich chain near me that has tempeh as one of the "meat" choices on any sandwich - I look forward to that someday!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 328 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 280 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 346 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 280 views