How do you vegetarians get in your protein??

poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 10:24 am - OH
I've never liked tofu because of the texture.  I've tried to like it.  Every once in a while I try it again.  But I don't like it.

I love Indian food.  I haven't had any in a long time.  I live in a small town and there are no Indian restaurants here.  Darn it, now I want Indian!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 9/26/11 10:27 am - Chandler, AZ
Thank goodness for a vegetarian that does not like tofu!! LOL

Sorry about the Indian food reference...I crave it, too, but it's too early I think for me! I am lucky that I live in AZ, near the West Coast, so veg-wise we have a lot of options here luckily. I can't wait to try out the vegan Indian restaurant here in town - no ghee so the fat calories will be less! I hope it's not loaded with carbs, though, just lots of delish veggies and spices!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

CarolineM
on 9/26/11 5:13 am
 I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, beans, lentils, smoothie made with protein powder, edamame, tofu, hummus, veggie burgers. Most days I get 100-110 grams of protein and 1200-1400 calories.

Veggie burgers and other "meat replacement" things don't have as much protein as the equivalent amount of meat, but they do still have a decent amount of protein. And as Kelly said, adding cheese to a veggie burger ups the protein.
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

Dan OBrien
on 9/26/11 5:35 am - FL
If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made of meat?
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

Carla M.
on 9/26/11 6:00 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
LOL! That comment has always made me laugh. I usually tell people that maybe we should just start eating each other then...we're made of meat too. Granted, I eat meat now. I never went vegetarian for the animal cruelty aspect of it.

Becca R.
on 9/26/11 5:57 am - WA
you could bend the rules and eat fish.. thats what my vegetarian sister does because she needed alot protien to heal after her surgery. And her Dr highly recomended that she add it to her diet becasuse of the fish oils and omega-3.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
ktharp89
on 9/26/11 6:05 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 I'm not a vegetarian and don't plan to be one. I love meat! I just wanted to branch out into veggie products. Thanks for some good suggestions!
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Jane N.
on 9/26/11 6:26 am - Round Rock, TX
I think Quorn has the best meat substitute scramble.  I love Morning Star nuggets but hate their scramble. 

hlacy
on 9/26/11 9:44 am - Chandler, AZ
I was a vegetarian for eight years. I am not one now, but, in all honestly, all this meat since surgery is getting me down. I have been trying to branch out and eat more extra firm tofu. Whole Foods has some great ones in their deli. I'm single and work a lot of hours, so RTE stuff is what I look for.

Also, keep in mind there are different types of "veggie burgers" - Gardenburger is a grain based one, whereas most of the Morningstar, Quorn and Boca ones are soy or TVP based, and will have more protein. I've been craving a Gardenburger but have resisted since they are mostly grain based and I am so early out. 

A new brand on the scene is Gardein - they make a great variety of meat substitutes and the sauces usually come on the side so you can control their use. I really like them, and they have some great entree choices!

http://www.gardein.com/index.php

My favorite crumbles have always been Morningstar. They were always what I used when I made Hamburger Helper, even when I was no longer veg. I'd love to come up with some kind of bypass friendly HH someday, LOL.

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

gbsinsatx
on 9/26/11 11:47 am - San Antonio, TX
 I am a Vegetarian. Please see my profile page for the eating plan I created.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 534 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 253 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 390 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?