Just had surgery on 10/10/11 protein issues

arlyn613
on 10/17/11 11:57 pm - GA
 I just had my surgery on 10/10/11 and I am having issues getting all my protein in everyday. Yesterday I had a major meltdown..I just felt helpless and cried. I have always been a finicky eater and I knew going in to this it would be a challenge,but I didn't know these first two weeks would be so hard. I don't like the taste of most protein supplements I've tried and I have never been able to force myself to eat or drink anything I don't like.. My sister says,"sounds like you need to suck it up and learn to like them." I'm trying!! I think it would be different if I could take a big gulp or chug it,but I know I can't do that..Anyone have suggestions? Please. I have tried Unjury,Chike(?),Special K, some vial type thing..the only thing I really like is  No Sugar Carnation Breakfast Essentials..I can tolerate the choc. unjury,but it's not my fave and I did not like the Strawberry Sorbet. My doctor says I need 55 grams a day and it has been so hard ..Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ♥
 Life is too short to take things for granted..LOVE deeply, LIVE fully and be THANKFUL..but above all put your FAITH in GOD  Love to all,Arlyn♥    
Paul C.
on 10/18/11 12:12 am - Cumming, GA
Just my opinion but you should probably head to a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe (I preffer GNC) and look at what they have to offer.  I believe that when it comes to protein you get what you pay for so investing in some quality protein may get you something you can tolerate or possibly like.  Also by dealing face to face with people they will get to know you and be able to help you in choosing a protein.

Even though people push Whey Isolate does not mean you have to use only Whey Isolate.  I Honestly hate Isolate powders as they have a funky after taste so I personally do not use Poweders that are primarily Isolate.  My Powder is Whey COncentrate as the primary with Isolate as the second.

I have also heard that GNC has a pretty decent return or exchange policy if you don't like a product.

I use the Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein line of products. 

Also by dealing face to face with a GNC store you will be known and sometimes  get more discounts.  Typical GNC discount for Gold Card holders is 20% off the first week of the month.  The owner of the store I go to gives me 20% off anytime I am in there, he knows me by name and makes sure that my needs are taken care of.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
tulips52
on 10/18/11 12:13 am
 I have the same problems! My NUT did set up a schedule for me where I drink a lot of skim milk for my liquids to gain protein. I can get the Pure Protein cherry jello down the best of anything. (it has 23g of protein) I get it from netrition. I keep telling myself, they dont call it "hell month" for nothing. lol 
I have not met my total for fluids or protein yet, although, I am close. I think if we keep working at it..we will get there. I am relaxing more and it seems to be going more smoothly. I do not like the vits either. YUCKO. I think it will get better when we can swallow pills. Good luck and keep working at it. Also, Pure Protein Ready to Drinks are not too bad either. I had Optisource in the hospital and they were not bad either. Both of them, are in the cheaper category than all of the really awful ones that I bought at GNC. (and spent a fortune!!!...it's going to be returned!) 

Paul C.
on 10/18/11 1:23 am - Cumming, GA
Be careful of the protein jellos On the Pure Protein Jello the first Protein listed is "(Hydrolyzed Collagenic Protein Isolate" which is one of the less desirable forms of protein, and is not asorbed as well as Whey based proteins.  So even though you may appear to hit your protein goals you may not actually be absorbing all of the protein you injest.

Just an FYI.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
tulips52
on 10/18/11 1:09 pm
 Thanks, Paul. I didn't have my NUT look at it yet so wasn't sure about it. (figures, because I can get it down easier than anything else ) However, I want the right type of protein or I'm defeating myself!! 

BugdocMom
on 10/18/11 12:18 am - CA
Awww...I am so sorry you feel like you are struggling. To be honest, MOST people have trouble getting their protein in this soon after surgery. For me, my doc focused on making sure I got in as many fluids as I could with a goal of 64 oz a day. FLUIDS is most important in the beginning. While choosing fluids, I was to try to get in those that could add protein to my diet with a GOAL of 100 grams of protein a day...impossible in the beginning (and, to be honest, almost impossible for me even now). NSA Carnation Instant Breakfast was on my list of early drinks so, if they agree with you, I would drink them to contribute to your protein count. Unfortunately, when you get a little stronger and can make better protein choices, it should not be a regular feature in your diet. but, for now, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Did you get any protein samples? I recommend going to a couple of websites that sell samples, like vitalady and mybariatricpantry.com, and ordering samples of the protein brands and flavors that sound yummy to you. I would also suggest you get 2 of each so you can prepare them different ways if the first try doesn't go well. For instance, there are some I couldn't stand mixed with milk but enjoy mixed with water or can't drink as a blended shake but go down easily when simply shaken. This is a quest! I have found the fruity flavors work for me mixed with water: 4EVERfit in cranrazz, Nectar in lemonade and fuzzy navel, mybariatricpantry pantry selects in several of their flavors (most mixed with a bit more water than called for). It will take some searching, but you will find something that works for you and it will take a little time to build up to the 55 grams. In the mean time, lean on the instant breakfast, but only temporarily and all you can do is TRY to get as close to your goal as possible.
Dave Chambers
on 10/18/11 12:45 am - Mira Loma, CA
There is no one protein that all post ops tolerate. It's an individual decision.  Try to use a whey isolate protein, as that one's generally considered "the bank for the buck" in regards to protein.  "Finicky eaters" may have many problems post op, so you may well have to "learn to suck it up".  If you can't find any protein that you think tastes "real good", you'll have to go to plan B. Plan B consists of using your left thumb and forefinger to pinch your nose while you drink your protein with your right hand.  Mixing unflavored whey isolate protein with soft foods may be helpful in coming weeks when you can have foods.  Sip, sip, sip--you have learn to do this with your water and shakes as a new post op. Virtually all post ops have this issue to some degree.  You'll likely need a little more protein (around 75g) vs the 55g noted by your doc.  You may never "find a fav" in regards to protein. It's an issue many post ops face. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Jameen G.
on 10/18/11 12:53 am - NC

It is so funny ... I am not laughing at you ... I am laughing with you and you will be laughing in a few weeks.  I had my surgery on Aug 24th and i too struggled in the first few weeks.  MOST people go through this ... so don't beat yourself up.  You have to sip and sipping sucks!  BUT it isn't forever ... just right now.  Like someone else said to you ... concentrate on getting your liquids in ... YOU definitely do not want to get dehydrated.  If you can sip some protein (which can count as a liquid ... then even better.  I cannot do any protein shakes, powder, etc.  The only thing that works for me is Isopure Blue Raspberry (40 grams of protein).  It looks like juice.  They have different flavors ... GNC or Vitamin Shoppe both carry it (Vitamin Shoppe a little cheaper), and i mix it in with my favorite sugar free grape juice.  It is the lesser of all other evil drinks out there that i have tried. 

Your whole body, your mouth (all the tastes and smells is overwhelming), your mind is all going through a change right now.  You have to ride the wave ... IT REALLY DOES GET BETTER and you will find the flow/process that works for you ... EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.  I had doubts that i would ever get it all together ... 8 weeks out tomorrow, some days i still wonder if i am doing it all right ... Glad you had a good cry yesterday ... today focus on sipping ... get you a sippie cup if it helps ... i did (smile).  I can now drink regularly and i can also drink through a straw which makes getting liquids in so much easier for me.  You will find out what works for you. 

Hang in there ... cry when you need to, but the journey gets so much better :)

jameen (take a minute to smile ...)

Bama_Wifey
on 10/18/11 12:58 am - AL
I also had surgery on 10/10 and really liked the protein shakes I was drinking prior to surgery.  However, things are different after surgery.  My taste buds were becoming a little intolerant of my strawberry shakes.  I bought the unflavored Unjury and I add 1/4 scoop (5 grams) to my DECAF coffee in the mornings.  I also got some Hershey's cocoa and added a whole scoop of protein (20) along with some splenda....stirred it all up first to get the lumpiness out, then added 16 oz. of skim milk (which has protein)....a little at a time because the cocoa is hard to mix up.  But finally got it shook up and dissolved.  I had enough for 2 shakes - one for yesterday and one for today.  It tastes just like chocolate milk.  I cant taste the protein at all.  The unflavored protein has really helped me.  I keep a journal of everything I eat or drink.  I have not reached my required 64 oz of liquids or 64 grams of protein YET, but I did make it up to 58 grams of protein yesterday.  Yay!!  I started my pureed diet yesterday and blended up a chicken breast with some broth and I could only eat a little, but I got 13 grams of protein from the chicken.  Dont give up...I KNOW how nasty some of the protein tastes, and how you dont even want to try new protein because the old protein was just so horrible.  But there really are a lot of good sources out there.  Good luck and keep your chin up!  You have come this far....and we are here to help you the rest of the way!!!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/18/11 2:23 am
You won't get all the protein in right away so don't worry about that. It takes a while. My doc doesnt' have his patients on any protein supplements like shakes so we're to get all our protein from food and we do it eventually. Remember your body has lots of stores that it can use. That's why we had surgery to use up the excess we accumulated over the years. Try a bunch of different protein drinks. You can get free samples online. There's beneprotein that has no taste. I added it to water, soup, yogurt, eggs, etc for an extra boost when I needed to get more protein in and it is tasteless. Mixes well too. I got in from Walgreens or online. You may need to listen to your sister and suck it up and eat and drink what's approved for what stage you're in during your recouperation period and the first few months of rapid weight loss. You'll find what works for you-we all did, and what foods you can eat that will meet your protein and other requirements for the day. It's not easy but it's so worth it. Don't worry about the numbers - 55 gms a day is attainable but not right away. Don't worry , you won't starve or melt or anything - lol - your body is pretty resiliant in getting what it needs. You'll be find. Relax and enjoy the ride.
Jen 10 yrs post op. (and still saying WOW)
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?