food volume

westwoodbob
on 12/6/11 8:47 am - Olympia, WA
I am only one week out from my surgry. My pouch seem to tolorate 4 oz of any health puree. In another post today on the forum several people were involved in discussion regarding calories and volume.

My question is I was told in pre-op class the pouch has a capacity of 4 oz. Do I use that as a gage of how much to eat. How large would I expect it at 2,4,6 months.

Do I focus on volume or calories

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 9:03 am - Sudbury, Canada
I am almost 4 months out of surgery.  I found that i eat 3 oz of protein than i eat 3/4 cup of food per meal i was eating 1 cup some days it would be fine somedays it would be too much so just to make life simple i eat 3/4 cup every meal.  i also eat 3 oz of protein a meal.  lots of time i only eat protein and veggies.  Every one is diffrent but once you find where it is comfortable for you then just stick with that.  as for calories i eat more than the 800 others are eating and im still losing and feeling great
BWB
on 12/6/11 10:46 am
  I think when I was out just one week I was on full liquids.  Not broth but cream soups for two weeks and I could only get 2 oz. down.  Pureed food came later.  I can ocassionally eat 1/2 cup but not often.  My doctor stressed letting your incision heal thoroughly before going on to chunky food.  It satisfies my hunger and I'm delighted that I can naturally reduce the quanity.  I would rather eat small amounts more often then stuff my pouch.  That's not a a recommendation for you but how it's comfortable for me.

jamiemariep
on 12/6/11 11:18 am
I am 8 days out and so far have been able to tolerate about 4oz at a time (I have only had butternut squash soup, creamof chicken, egg custard and yogurt and the only.thing ive had more than once is the squash soup). That being said everything has taken me over an hour to eat (except the cream of chicken because it was so watery).

My protein drinks take me anywhere from 2-4 hours to finish so I dont have much time or desire to 'eat'

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views