For pre-ops.....a little boost of moral!

Trish S.
on 12/20/11 9:08 pm - Upstate , NY
I am two weeks out from my RNY.  Just wanted to share my experience with pre-ops.  I had a three day liquid diet before my surgery.  The morning of my surgery, I got my IV, bunch of meds, etc.  Went to the holding area in the OR, spoke with the anesthesiologist.  Saw my surgeon, was wheeled into the OR, met the staff and went to sleep.  Woke up 45 minutes later and stayed in recovery for about an hour.  Went back to my room, and as soon as I was fully awake, I walked to the bathroom by myself.  I had little to no pain, REALLY!  I walked and walked the rest of the day and when it was time to go to sleep, I asked if I could sleep on my side.  The nurse said "sleep in whatever position you are comfortable".   I slept so well on my side....and then when I woke up....I was on my stomach!  And with no pain!   The next day I woke up, took a shower, and walked about 15 laps in the hospital.  At about 11 am the gas pains started.  Please take the pain meds to help your through this time.  I thought I could handle the pain without meds....wrong!  The paid meds helped so much, and with the constant walking....it was gone by that night.  I came home the next day without any pain meds, and haven't needed any. 

I have have Zero problems with my RNY.  Remember to sip sip sip.....walk walk walk walk.  I feel great, walk 30  minutes a day on the treadmill and have been doing so since the day I came home.  I am heading for the dreaded 3 week stall, but I'm mentally ready for it.  I am so happy that I had this surgery.  The weight loss will speed up then slow down, but it's fine with me.  I'm still losing overall and that is what counts.  Good luck to all of you who have your date and are soon to be on the loser's bench.  It is a really, really, wonderful thing.  It was the best Christmas Present that I could ever get.  Merry Christmas everyone!!!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Ready2ChangeMe
on 12/20/11 9:13 pm - Canada
 thanks for posting your experience!

Cankles2Ankles :D
on 12/20/11 9:49 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 01/25/12
 Thank you for posting this. Most of all.... Congratulations!

It's stories from others that make the journey to surgery: educational and exciting. 
DannieW
on 12/20/11 11:04 pm
Congrats!!!!!  I can't wait to be on the  post-op side
 DANNIEW   

Amy D.
on 12/20/11 11:18 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Thanks! And congrats on your success so far! I'm anxious and excited about the whole thing so I love hearing positive post op stories.

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
melissa_whitener
on 12/21/11 4:51 pm - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 thanks for this post.  good to know that not all stories are the scarey ones!!!
good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views