Do I have to only use chewable vitamins?

xtine
on 1/13/12 1:54 pm - San Jose, CA
I am almost 7 weeks out and would like to know if I can take regular vitamins? Like pill ones? I see such good deals and don't know if it is ok to use them?

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/12 2:13 pm - OH
As long as you are able to swallow them without discomfort or getting them stuck, the is no reason you cannot take normal pills.  Some vitamins are pretty big, though, so you may want to look for ones that are smaller to start with.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hlacy
on 1/13/12 2:14 pm - Chandler, AZ
You can start taking regular vitamins right after surgery if you choose. I was swallowing pills a few hours after my surgery. I took Centrum Chewables a couple weeks post-op, but I quickly switched to store brand Centrum Silver tabs because they were a lot easier to find on sale!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

LilnAK
on 1/13/12 3:20 pm
I was taking the Centrum Silver until I noticed they don't have iron so I switched to Centrum chewables. They are orange flavored but they are quite powdery.
 Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly - Anonymous    
poet_kelly
on 1/13/12 9:01 pm - OH
And they don't have selenium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 1/13/12 11:44 pm - Chandler, AZ
I take the Centrum Silver with a separate iron supplement of carbonyl iron (either Feosol or Sundown Perfect Iron). Like Kelly said, the regular Centrum do not have Selenium thus why I use the Silver with a separate iron. And, to note - the Silver chewablea taste MUCH better than the regular - they are.a Lemon berry flavor and taste like Fruit Loops :)
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

LilnAK
on 1/14/12 12:03 am
An, I see. I was not find of the taste of the Silvers.

Kelly, what role does selenium play? Why is it necessary?
 Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly - Anonymous    
poet_kelly
on 1/13/12 9:01 pm - OH
The ASMBS says it's fine to switch as long as you tolerate them.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kittehkitteh27
on 1/14/12 12:31 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
So using chewables doesnt have anything to do with easier absorption? I assumed that was the reason for using bariatric vitamins as opposed to pills. I had no idea. Good to know! Thanks
poet_kelly
on 1/14/12 12:52 am - OH
Nope, has nothing to do with absorption.  We absorb pills just fine.  At least most pills.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?