how to clear stricture

westwoodbob
on 2/3/12 5:47 am - Olympia, WA
I have had a stricture since this morning. Every other time this has happened I just vomit and walla allis well. This time I have had it for 6 hours and does not want to clear with vomiting. I tried pappya enzime but has not helped. My vomit is really foamy.

Any ideas on what I can or should do?

Carla M.
on 2/3/12 6:09 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with

Well, if you had a stricture that was cleared with vomitting, it wasn't a stricture. Maybe just a blockage of some sort. The only way to fix an actual stricture is to get an egd with dilation done.

Daniel-L
on 2/3/12 7:11 am - OR
RNY on 01/26/12
One of my brothers over on the men's forum posted  this recently  from Cabin111:

I'll just touch on the foamies...The head cases are for other forums.
After RNY you have a pouch for your stomach the size of a walnut!! Not much can go in there. If you eat too fast or too much (or not chew your food well) the pouch may not be able to release the food quickly into the small intestine. When this is the case you will get the foamies. You are still producing saliva as the pouch is full...and are still swallowing it. When there is no place for it to go, you get the foamies...Just like it sounds, it is saliva that can't go anywhere. You may stand in front of the sink or use a cup and have to spit and spit this white foam...Waiting and praying that you can throw up. You may or may not be able to do so!! After some time the object will pass. The food can also get stuck in your throat or get lodged in your pouch. That is why you are taught to chew ALL food to puree before it enters you pouch (at least the first 6 months)...If you forget you will get a wakeup reminder. Also you will feel a lot of pressure on your chest since you are hacking and and trying to cough the object up.
Another thing you should be aware of are strictures. I won't go into great detail...Later I may copy and paste, but if you are getting an RNY you should know about them. They usually occur at about 3 weeks post op. Between 5-7% or RNY patients will get them. It is a closing of the junction between the the pouch and the small intestine. If it occurs you will need to go to a Gastroenterologist and get it resolved. You can ask about strictures on the RNY Fourm.

poet_kelly
on 2/3/12 7:35 am - OH
A stricture is when the opening between the pouch and small intestine gets too narrow.  Vomiting won't fix a stricture.  to fix a stricture, a doctor much do an endoscopy - go down your throat into the pouch with a tiny camera - and use a balloon to dilate the stricture.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sharyn S.
on 2/3/12 8:58 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Image Detail

But, you're probably stuck and don't have a stricture.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

pierrelive
on 2/3/12 9:53 am - CA
Why do you get them and is there a way to avoid it?
Sharyn S.
on 2/3/12 10:00 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
They're caused by an overactive scar formation, typically.  Nothing you can do to avoid them.  You either get them or you don't.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

pierrelive
on 2/3/12 10:23 am - CA
Thanks, I hope I don't get them.
maimeem71
on 2/3/12 10:57 am - ID
Damb i know i have one cause i cant ear and im always spitten up foamies. Waters even hard to get down and my egd isnt scheduled until wednesday.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 232 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics