Update: Home From Hospital

Carla M.
on 2/14/12 9:35 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with

I came home from the hospital yesterday. My ulcer is back in full swing and they havve me on a ton of medines and a liquid diet again.  They aren't sure what's causing the ulcer beause I eat a pretty bland diet and chew my food well. So we're now trying to figure out the cause.

As far as my abdominal pain...we're really at a loss. It might be referred pain, but they don't think so. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday and an appointment with a different GI doctor on the 24th. I also have an appointment with an internal medicine doctor on the 6th of March. Until then I'm on Norco 10-325ml, Gabapentin250/5ml, Nortriptyline 10mg/5ml., gi ****tail with lidocaine,  phenergan, etc.  Needless to say......I'm pretty out of it and not allowed to drive right now.

That's my update for you all. Please keep me in your prayers in hopes that they figure all of this out soon.

Thanks,

Carla

SarinaHaas
on 2/14/12 9:38 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
Thoughts & prayers coming your way.
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/12 9:40 am
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this, Carla.  Sending positive vibes your way and wishing for a satisfactory resolution to your situation.

Take care...

tori
Autumn Jensen
on 2/14/12 9:46 am - Lind, WA
RNY on 03/06/12
MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. I AM PRAYING THAT IT GOES AWAY AND STAYS AWAY SO THAT YOU CAN HAVE A HEALTHY LIFE WITHOUT ALL THIS. COULDN'T FIND ONE THAT WAS PRAYING. BUT SENDING YOU AN ANGEL INSTEAD.

lilbear412
on 2/14/12 10:05 am - MN
sending good vibes and high hopes that you will find a resolution soon...hate to see anyone out of the loop.  stay strong!!

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

IrishIze
on 2/14/12 10:36 am - NJ

Oh dear, Carla.... sorry to hear you're having so much trouble.  I had the same type of trouble when I had my original surgery in 2004, but it finally got resolved.   Hang in there, it's not forever and you'll be well again soon.  I'm certainly keeping you in my prayers.  

Keep us posted and feel better SOON!! 

Irish.......

JerseyJim
on 2/14/12 10:41 am - Sayre, PA
Good luck Carla. I hope everything turns out okay.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

CarolBeth
on 2/14/12 12:07 pm - SoCal, CA
So sorry you're having these problems.  I hope they can get you healing and feeling better very soon.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

rbb825
on 2/14/12 3:01 pm - Suffern, NY
something you might want to mention to your GI doctor that is a problem for people that have recurring ulcers of no known cause and many times multiple ulcers is a condition called zolingers ellison syndrome.  Do you have alot of reflux? or heartburn?  Do you already take a PPI at a lower dose that doesnt' work?  there are several diagnostic tests for this?  You can't just have one test and say you have it - the first test is a blood test for gastrin - if it is high, then you need to have an octreotide scan to check for a special tumor called a gastrinoma - a tumor that secretes gastin - this a very difficult to find tumor on scans and isnt' always found - octreotide scans are the most reliable of all of them = they find endocrine tumors which a gastrinoma usually is - it can be found in the pancreas, the small intestines - they are usually very small.  the last resort test and many doctors dont' like to do because it is very expensive is a secretin stimulation test - a secretin is injected and your level will go up really high if you have a gastrinoma.  I couldnt' get any doctor to do this test on me - they couldnt find the tumor on an octreotide scan but my gastrin level was off the charts - the normal level was up to 100 and I was once 600 and once 1100 - it was never rechecked.

I haven't had any ulcers in a long time, so they said they doubted it was the case for me, if I started getting ulcers again, they would persue it

I  think if you are having recurring severe ulcers, you might was to pursue this - good luck

Carla M.
on 2/15/12 2:50 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with

I'm going to write all of this down and show it to the doctors. I take Nexium twice a day and have been for a while. Carafate 4x a day, and several other meds. I just don't want to be out of it. With all of these medicines I'm either nauseous or too full to get anything else in nowadays.

Thank you for your knowledge. I appreciate it.

Thank you to everone for all of your well wishes. It's greatly needed.

Most Active