Inards falling out after open surgery?

LouLou4
on 3/7/12 1:06 am
Afternoon all

Random worry of the day. I'm having my RNY open and notice that when I sit down I have a huge roll of fat right where the incision is going to be. After they've stitched me up how are the stitches going to stay in when my tummy tucks over itself???

If anyone who had open surgery can answer this question I'd be eternally grateful.

I have visions of waking up, getting out of bed for a walk and when it comes to getting back down the stitches pinging out all over the place and all my inards spilling out!

Think i'm going to need some serious reinforcement!
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/7/12 1:08 am - Baltimore, MD
Oh goodness. That was quite the mental picture. I don't know much about this but know that surgeons have ways of ensuring your incisions heal. Binding, maybe? I don't know...I hope others respond!
Relic_Goddess
on 3/7/12 1:16 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
 Each seperate layer is suture either in a continuous pattern, interrupted, or glued with dissolvable staples. You have nothing to worry about dear, they are three layers that they close up and each one has the tension strength up to 800 pounds, depending on the suture. 
_Donna_
on 3/7/12 1:11 am
You will have very strong internal stitches in addition to the stitches or staples on the outside.

I bet you can find a video on YouTube to show you the exact surgery you will be having.

RNY 5-5-2011

wvugal89
on 3/7/12 1:11 am - MD
Not hungry anymore! Just kidding! Nothing will fall out! During surgery you have multiple levels of sutures, staples, etc. Most are not even visible! Your surgeon will make sure you are intact before you even wake-up. You will be uncomfortable so have lots of loose clothing. I had my summer maxi dresses that I added sweaters to so that I always felt good. It will all be ok, you'll see!

Teri-Lynn
POI

seashell6417
on 3/7/12 3:35 am - Gaylord, MN
You will be fine.  As previous posters stated, there are multiple layers of sutures.  Something else to think about...this surgery has been around for YEARS and for many years all were done open and on morbidly obese people (people with large stomachs).  If guts spilling out were a problem they would have discontinued the surgery LONG ago.   :)
Tami

Zeigled
on 3/7/12 3:48 am - Parkton, MD
Everyone says you will be fine....just don't do any heavy lifting.  I had open surgery and it hurts because you cut through muscle rather than just the small holes.  I did have one surgery however - before this RNY on my abdomen and I changed a tire 14 days after surgery.  I opened up the whole incision and had to have it sewn back up again.  Insides did not fall out - it was just kind of opened up in a V shape.  Bled a lot and was kind of gushy & gross but no permanent damage.
HW 357 SW 341   

LouLou4
on 3/7/12 3:53 pm
These are the random thoughts that go through my head when I'm waiting for 5 o'clock finish to come!

Thank you all for your replies. It makes sense that the inside will be reinforced with multiple sutures I guess it's the outer layer that i'm most worried about.

Does anyone know if you're required to wear some kind of binding post op? I'm thinking along the lines of a corset type device?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/7/12 4:10 pm - OH
I was given a binder to wear after my open RNY (but was not required to wear it... It was just available because it offers some extra support which can be really helpful when getting in and out of bed those first couple of weeks).  Unfortunately, the binder was too long for me and so was very uncomfortable because it had to come down past my waist and over my hips, so I only wore it off and on for the first couple of days while i was still in the hospital and then ignored it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/7/12 4:06 pm - OH
 As the others have said, there Is  OT just one layer of stitches, so no need to worry.  Trust me, you will be able to feel that your muscle has been securely stitched back together because you will feel the pain from the suturing!

Every surgery I have had in the last 10 years has had the skin layer glued rather than sutured or stapled (although I know from reading other people's posts he that a surprising number of surgeon still use staples), and  the glue is flexible enough to bend with your skin. Stitches will also not be problematic even with a fold in the skin.  If it will ease your mind, why not just ask the surgeon about your concern (and verify how the topmost layer will be closed)?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 269 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?