Gas pains with open surgery?

LouLou4
on 3/27/12 10:26 pm
Good afternoon all

Don't get much time to post but i'm still lurking around and learning new things every day

Anyways, found out on Monday that I have a date!! Woop woop! 18th April - 21 days to goooo!

Question - I know when you have the op laproscopically they pump you full of air so they can see everything which can cause the dreaded gas pains....i'm assuming if you have the op open you wouldn't have this? Slap me if i'm being dumb

x
bubbylucy
on 3/27/12 10:46 pm - Raleigh, NC
You will swap gas pains for a large incision type pain. But you are correct, with an open procedure they do not have to pump air into your abdomen.

Audra

Kalyssa
on 3/28/12 12:04 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
I had the surgery on 3/20/12 the open incision kind and yes they do pump gas in. Just not as much. I know I am having the gas pain and it hurts. The doctor said it should last a few more days.
LouLou4
on 3/28/12 1:23 am
Thanks for the replies guys

Kalyssa - on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your pain from the surgery? Obviously its subjective. I've never had a child so can't compare to that but I have a pretty high pain threshhold
Zeigled
on 3/28/12 4:22 am - Parkton, MD
I started lap and he switched to open during the surgery.  I did not have any gas pain but did have incision pain - especially when moving (sitting up in bed, getting in and out of bed, lifting my legs, etc).  Pain was significant (a 7 of 10) for the first few days even on pain meds.
HW 357 SW 341   

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views