Who do you listen to?

brenlee1965
on 7/20/12 11:45 am - New Berlin, NY
Your nutritionist or your doctor? The paperwork that I have says one thing (it's what the doc says) then my nutritionist says something else. She says that I will stay on the Full Liquids longer than the paperwork says because it will give the pouch time to heal. Doc says follow the paperwork that you've been given.
 Bren                
aquapolyester
on 7/20/12 11:50 am
RNY on 07/17/12
 I would follow the doc's wishes... they know that surgical healing process better than anyone.  Does your doc have a certain nutritionist they recommend?  Mine is in the same office as the surgeon, and they pop in during my post-op appointments.  
HW = 400  SW = 352  CW = 330

poet_kelly
on 7/20/12 11:53 am - OH
Whichever makes the most sense to me.  If I'm not sure about something, I ask where the information is coming from.  Like, can the nutritionist point to a study that shows staying on full liquids a certain amount of time leads to better patient outcomes?  If not, I'd probably go with what the doctor recommended.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

brenlee1965
on 7/20/12 11:53 am, edited 7/20/12 11:54 am - New Berlin, NY
The nut is with the same hospital (just in a different city) and at the hospital I will be seeing someone else. Doc says to follow the paperwork that the Hospital gives to RNY patients. The nut went over that paperwork, but told me that the results are better and pouch heals quicker by staying on the full liquid 6 wks instead of 3 wks. And I meet with her at 6 wks.
 Bren                
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/12 12:14 pm - OH
There is no medical evidence that the pouch heals more quickly by staying on liquids.  Ask the nutritionist to show you the evidence for it.  (She won't be able to because it does not exist.)

FWIW, my surgeon (and some others) allow patients to start soft foods after just a few days or a week because it has been their experience that people who stay on liquids and purées for an extended period of time have more trouble with a fussy pouch than people who start eating soft foods (scrambled eggs, for example) within a week.

Follow the paperwork as the surgeon instructed.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

grmadeb01
on 7/20/12 12:07 pm - FL
every surgeon has a different plan that they like for thier patients to follow..i came home from the hosital on purees so only liquids while in the hospital...i would ask your dr why there is diffrerent information given and go from there....explain to him that he is giving one set of directions and that the Nut is giving out a different set..so you are confused....
good luck
debby
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/12 12:09 pm - OH
 The nutritionist they had when I had my surgery knew almost NOTHING about nutrition for gastric bypass patients, so I listened to my surgeon initially, and then I started paying attention here and doing my own research so I don't have to rely on either one of them (or even on my PCP).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laura in Texas
on 7/20/12 12:18 pm
I don't think it hurts to stay on liquids longer than the doctor says. Honestly, I stayed on them for about a month. I didn't feel like eating and specially not anything pureed so I stayed on protein shakes longer than my doctor said to. I didn't worry about it. I got my protein in and my water which is the main goal at first.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 490 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 490 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 331 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 362 views