The Fair

darlingdeb
on 7/25/12 4:11 am - OH
Well it is that time of year again for State Fairs and Festivals.  I had my RNY April 17th so I am eating solid foods.  My question is what to eat at the fair?  I usually go every year and this is my first since my RNY.  I love going and taking my grandson but I know I can't have a lot of the food and I am trying to think of food choices.  Please any suggestions would be appreciated.    Debbie
TXKashmir
on 7/25/12 4:17 am - Grand Prairie, TX
The last time I went to the State Fair, I got one of those turkey legs (of course the leftovers lasted for two days - lol), and I had a bite of my niece's corn on the cob.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/25/12 4:55 am
If that would be me - nothing. I would bring my own snacks and drinks.
The fair food is not that healthy or fresh. Why risk food poisoning? and with RNY - food poisoning - it is not fun... not at all..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Neen L.
on 7/25/12 5:06 am - Arlington, VA
I LOVE the county fair. I make something for it every year. Last year my blueberry-peach syrup with lemon basil and orange zest won a blue ribbon! I was so excited.

At our fair, there is usually some barbecue. I'll go with some pulled pork or chicken with a vinegar based (not sweet) barbecue sauce.

The turkey leg someone mentioned before is a good bet too. I usually have to take the skin off because it's too chewy for me, but they are pretty darn tasty.

Sometimes the places serving burgers and hot dogs will have some kind of turkey burger or grilled chicken, so that's worth looking for as well.

If you're worried, it's worth putting a back-up protein bar in your bag. Enjoy the fair!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

darlingdeb
on 7/25/12 5:14 am - OH
Thanks so much for all the food ideas.  I didn't even think of some of these.  I will have a back-up plan such as a protein bar.   Debbie
exohexoh
on 7/25/12 5:18 am - West Chester, PA
 luckily the one i go to in pa is at night so i usually don't go until after dinner time. last year i went with my friend, her boyfriend, and her neice and nephew and had a bite of ice cream and a bite of cotton candy and was happy. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

juleskar
on 7/25/12 6:11 am
Our fair last year had a Gyro (sp?) booth that sold grilled chicken salads, instead of the pita bread. I asked for no sauce and it was filling, satisfying and I didn't feel left out of the group. I brought an icy protein drink and protein bars, in case I got hungry. Have fun!! Ours is next week...can't wait!!
LJ1972
on 7/25/12 6:45 am - FL
I carried a quest protein bar in my back pocket and bought some grilled chicken. Another night I ate the insides of a philly cheese steak
Dee.spunk
on 7/25/12 7:56 am - Sacramento, CA
We went to the BBQ stand and I got pulled pork without the BBQ sauce. The had steak too. I ate breakfast before we went and dinner after we left, that way I could eat good meals. I also brought jerky and nuts with me.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?