Why is it Waiters & Waitresses think you should be drinking??

darlingdeb
on 8/24/12 6:47 am - OH
I am 4 months out and down 65 pounds.  Whenever I go to a restaurant they ask what I want to drink.  I tell them I don't want anything.  Then they say are you sure I can't get you some ice water?  I tell them no thanks I don't want anything.  After the food is delivered they will ask me again "Honey, are you sure I can't get you something to drink, maybe some water?".  I know they are just being nice but it never fails they always ask me 3 or 4 times.  I just want to shout "I don't want anything to drink, leave me alone!!!"  They look at me  with a pitiful face for some reason like they feel sorry for me.  Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?!?!  debbie
bugirll
on 8/24/12 6:55 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
If you can stand to have it on the table, ask for a water-it's free and they will then leave you alone.  Or you can say "No thank you, I just dont ever drink with my meals" and that should stop them from asking again.
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/24/12 6:57 am, edited 8/23/12 11:57 pm - Baltimore, MD
Here is (arguably) the best piece of advice I'll ever give you. Ready?

Just take the damn water and don't drink it!

Waiters/waitresses are trained to keep you supplied with drinks and if you think about before your surgery you would have wanted them to! The world mentality does not change when we have surgery (although I still feel it should!).

Instead of arguing down every waiter/waitress on the planet, take the water, do not drink it. When they return to your table and see a still full glass they will not bring you more. That is how they are trained. If you have a particularly attentive waiter/waitress who notices you haven't been drinking and asks if everything is ok, give them an extra tip. They are an exceptional hospitality worker.

Also, there is no scientific reason you can't drink right up until your meal so I take some water before I eat and stop when my meal comes.
Vivian Prouty
on 8/24/12 7:08 am - Fort Worth, TX
Debbie....we ALL go through that.   My son was a server and I asked him about this.   He said that most managers think the server isn't doing their job well if everyone does not have something to drink.    SO I always have them bring me a glass of water.   It satisfies the waiter/ waitress and the management too.    After all...it is only wasted water no big deal.    But it keeps them from bugging you and makes everyone happy.    BTW...I hardly ever touch tha****er.   Hope this answer helps you understand why that happens.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

poet_kelly
on 8/24/12 7:17 am - OH
I don't think it's so much that they think you should be drinking, they are just not used to people not wanting a drink with their meal.  They've been trained to make sure everyone at the table has a drink and to keep their drinks full.  They are doing their jobs.

I usually just get ice water and drin****il my meal comes.  Then I stop drinking.  Sometimes I order a drink, like iced tea, and ask for it in a to go cup.  I drin****il my  meal comes, then take the drink with me when I leave and finish drinking it after 30 minutes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle V.
on 8/24/12 7:28 am - Livonia, MI
I just order a small water - that way if you get something a bit too dry & start to choke you can sip water to help it pass.

Otherwise, it gets ignored.
Kim S.
on 8/24/12 7:31 am - Helena, AL
When at casual restaurants I always ask for water with lemon in a to-go cup.  That way I can take my water and drink in 30 minutes....at nicer restaurants, I generally have a glass of wine before dinner, and I let them leave water too....

We changed the way we eat/drink....and can't expect the whole world to adapt...frankly I rather just blend in and not have my eating/drinkin style the center of attention.

darlingdeb
on 8/24/12 7:41 am - OH
Well thanks to everyone for all of the ideas.  I never had them bring me water since it use to be such a habit of drinking and eating.  I just figured not to have it in front of me at all since I am early out and trying to break bad habits.  I know they are just doing their job and I have always been polite in saying no thank you.  I will try to get some water and hope that I don't grab it out of habit.  I didn't think of sipping it until my meal comes.     debbie
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/24/12 7:45 am - Baltimore, MD
Well I don't know about your body, but I actually *can't* eat/drink at the same time. If I do, the water or liquid ALWAYS comes back up. And I've done it in the longer term (mostly when I over-season my food and just need a sip or two to balance it all out). I am not even capable of drinking that much until LONG after I eat. So there's that for me. 

For you, even if you don't get sick from eating and drinking together (or don't know) TELL yourself you will. And you'll believe it and watch how strong a deterrent it will be. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

darlingdeb
on 8/24/12 7:57 am - OH
Thanks Nik you are always so helpful and have great ideas!!  And your my BFF when it comes to Y&R!! lol
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?