Achilles Tendonitis (Pain) need help

d_mac682
on 9/13/12 1:27 pm - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12
I have started running.....wow cant believe I actually said that...anyways I have some severe pain on the heel just behind the ankle now. I have been pushing thru the pain, well it sort of stops when I run, but comes back and kicks my arse later in the day.

Anyone that runs have any ideas or advice?

Neen L.
on 9/13/12 1:37 pm - Arlington, VA
Friend, I feel your pain!

I was doing a run about a month ago and this happened. My ankle swelled up like a baseball and hurt so badly I could barely walk. It went away within 24 hours, but happened every time I tried to run thereafter. It was fine during runs but hurt like hell afterward.

I checked in with the orthopedic surgeon who told me that I had Achilles tendonitis. Unfortunately, the only solution is switching to low-impact exercise until it gets better. I've been biking and using the elliptical for about a month and am just now starting to run again a little bit at a time. The doctor had me start at 1 mile, and once I could run 1 mile without swelling or pain I was allowed to progress. But I still have to rest a day or two between runs, so I keep up with cardio in those lower impact ways.

Don't push through severe pain like that. You'll end up hurting yourself worse and will need more recovery time over all. I know it is hard because you want to be healthy and do this for yourself, but be patient and you'll feel better soon. Good luck!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Carol S.
on 9/14/12 5:22 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Check out the forums on runners world magazine online.  There are all kinds of tips, tricks etc. 

My take?  These are new pains from a new activity and the people on RW will give you an idea of what is a cause to stop altogether and what is a reason to get fitted for running shoes, and what stretches to use to help with the pain.

Good luck!  I love to run, it my ME time.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 534 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 54 replies · 244 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 364 views