OT- Work Performance Review, not good

d_mac682
on 9/16/12 6:58 pm - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12
Had an annual review this past week, and I am ticked. Perhaps the emotions in a heap of mess from surgery have complicated things. I was told that I need to ask more questions about my work and what I am supposed to do. How do you ask questions if you dont know you are supposed to ask them? I know what I am supposed to do with my job, but my boss does not know how to assign the task or explain what is needed, and he gets upset that its not the way he wants it. So how does one ask questions of you dont think you need to? To me this is a poor cop-out for a poor manager. Am I wrong? Has anyone else been told they need to ask more questions in regards to their job?

Sherrie P.
on 9/16/12 7:25 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
Well, it sounds like the best thing to do would be to ask questions that clarify the task - even if you don't think you need it.  Sometimes a boss just wants some interaction so he knows you are on point.

For example, even if it seems obvious - rephrase the task to seek clarification.

On the other hand, some people are just jerks. ;-)

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

MissK123456789
on 9/16/12 8:00 pm - PA
I had a horrible review a few years ago.  Just regurgitate what you think he wants to hear!  Good luck!
Dave Chambers
on 9/16/12 8:19 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I worked construction for many years. The best foremen I had would write down the "construction project" with a sketch and measurements.  Too many times, verbal instructions would end up in a heated discussion over whether my completion of the tast met with the approval of the boss.  When I had a project description on paper, I could validate what I had done. If it was done according to the task description, and there was an error, I was not at fault.  Maybe you could help your boss work up a "job description" to help you assure you understand the task, and that he can see you addressed all issues he wants completed?  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

d_mac682
on 9/16/12 9:39 pm - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12
I feel that he thinks I am a threat to him as others I work with avoid going thru him and come directly to me to get the work done, including my supervisors boss. I am struggling to deal with this as this was a blindsided event. I am already dealing with the emotions from the surgery and the changes, now this? Nothing was said to me over the past year, until this review. Am I taking this too personally?

Bebhihn
on 9/17/12 8:41 am - IA
When people come to you vs. him, it may be beneficial to hear the questions, then both of you go to your boss and re-ask it so he feels he's in the loop and everyone is getting consistent info.  I managed a group once where they went to a person in the department vs me for questions, they didn't know me well.  She brought that to me (as she was a little sick of dealing with it) and that was our solution.  Once people realilzed she was going to bring them to me, they just started to come to me. 

Another idea may be formulating a checklist that you can email your boss on how your are going to work through your project.  Having a paper trail can be beneficial in the long run.

Having a crappy paranoid manager is very sucky.  I hope you can work something out with him to make things easier.  CYA (cover your 'butt') is always a good thing.

Just When The Caterpillar Thought The World Was Over, She Became A Butterfly. 

--Proverb

Dave Chambers
on 9/16/12 10:23 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Sometimes management resents "going around the management heirarchy" , aka "chain of command".  Managment is supposed to know what's going in their department. Your review may just be a reflection of others coming directly to you instead of going through the supervisory chain of managment. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Allen Y.
on 9/17/12 1:10 am - Garland, TX
 Ask for a 15 minute briefing each day to go over goals, status, issues, etc.

DebsGiz
on 9/17/12 3:45 am - FL
I agree with Allen, though not sure I'd ask for 15 minutes each day, but maybe 30 minutes each week to go over the agenda and make sure things are clear.

I would also put it to your Manager in such a way as to come across that you "appreciate" the feedback you received on your review (gag) and that you are taking his advice to heart and are trying to improve (double gag).

I have a boss who likes to micromanage and I believe when he feels he's not in total control he finds fault with performance that is, actually, baseless, beyond his own insecurities.

It's tough, but you have two choices really, either get on board and play the game, or leave...

I'd, personally, leave in a second but with the economy and jobs being what it is, I am forced to play the stupid reindeer games...
Pickett6
on 9/17/12 7:38 am
I have a weekly meeting (usually about 1/2 hour) with those who work for me to go over progress, questions, next steps, and that seems to work really well.  I also then have an hour meeting about every two weeks with my supervisor to keep her posted and to review any questions/concerns either of us might have.  As others have said, you might want to set up a periodic, but regularly scheduled, meeting with your supervisor to deal with any concerns or changes that might occur from his side and to update him on your progress or concerns.  It feels like more communication might make him feel more secure and might avoid you getting blindsided again.  Good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 534 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 54 replies · 244 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 390 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?