Newbie question

daviswingard
on 11/2/12 5:59 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 10/30/12
I had my surgery done Tuesday 10/30. I did not pass my barium swallow on Wednesday. The doctor called it an "ileus"(sp?). He said my bowels had not started moving yet. I did the swallow again yesterday and passed. I started liquids yesterday and got to leave the hospital. My surgeon recommends 64oz min of fluids and 40g min protein. So far today I've only been able to get down about 3/4 of a protein shake with 20g protein and about 10oz of water. This is nowhere near the recommended amounts. Is this normal? I'm scared of getting dehydrated, but I'm also scared to throw up again. Need some encouragement. Thanks!
MultiMom
on 11/2/12 6:14 am - NH

Have you been throwing up the liquids that you have gotten down?

How I did the liquids when I first came home was was I had a shot glass and a timer. Every ten minutes I filled the shot glass to the 1 oz line from the 16 oz bottle on my side table. I sipped the 1 ounce without too much trouble. When the timer went off I filled it to 1 ounce line again, and so on. Looking at the 16 ounce bottle and thinking "I gotta drink all that!! No way!!" Even including sleeping 8 hours at night and 3 or 4 one hour naps during the day it gets done. You can also include sugar free popsicles, jello and protein drinks in that 64 ounce minimum.

Do your best because it's important to not become dehydrated. 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/12 6:31 am

This is going to be one of the hardest part of the journey, at least in my opinion.  I was sicker than a dog after surgery, but I was determined to get my water in.  I hated being in the hospital and two things I did in spite of of how I felt: sipped and sipped and sipped and used my spirometer because I could not get a deep breath and didn't want to end up with pneumonia.  The first month for me was difficult because I had my gallbladder out at the same time and I have other health problems.  trust me and all the others that are here to help you.  This too shall pass as corny as that saying is, it holds alot of power.  I am 6 months out and in a whole different place. I know they want you to get protein in, but most of us will tell you you have to stay HYDRATED. SF jello counts, broth counts, SF popsicles count because they are all clear liquids.  You can do this.  I am 59 and you are alot younger than me.  It doesn't make it any easier but we all want you to be successful on this journey.  Don't hesitate to post anytime day or night.  Someone is always here to help you.  Use crystal lights, mios or any water enhancer.  I couldn't gag down plain water and I still cant.  I thought I would float away because all I did was drink clear liquids and tried to at least get some of my protein shakes down.  Take care and again,we are here for you!  Jane 

poet_kelly
on 11/2/12 6:20 am - OH

I can be hard to get it all in at first but 10 oz of water in a whole day is not nearly enough.  What's keeping you from getting more down?  If you can't drink more than that, you probably need to call your surgeon.  You may need to be in the hospital on IV fluids until you can drink more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 11/2/12 6:44 am

Initially some people have a tough time getting in liquids (including myself).  Keep working on sipping that is the most important thing for right now.  You can survive without protein for a little while, you will have a host of problems should you become dehydrated. 

Many find drinking from 1 oz medicine cups easier to do.  Set a timer and drink an oz every 15 minutes if possible.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

AlohaJen
on 11/2/12 7:20 am
RNY on 09/05/12

I have to agree with Judy Jetson !!   SUGAR FREE POPSICLES are the best thing they ever made in my opinion.... they saved me right after surgery, because I still hate plain water.... in fact, I am at work and I am eating a SF popsicle at my desk and writing this at the same time.... I work for a large Pharmaceutical company and we have Fridges all over the place, so I bring a box of them every week and eat them all day long.... I am 8 weeks post-op..... you do not want to end up back in the hospital.... my Nutritionist told me in the beginning, that the liquids are the most important thing... getting in the protein will come..... Wish you luck and welcome to the "Loser's Bench"......

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

justinplex
on 11/2/12 7:22 am - Kilgore, TX

its sometimes easier to get down warm liquids as opposed to cold. i couldn't really do cold water after surgery at least for a few days.

Justin T. Johnson                            
sadiej2000
on 11/2/12 1:26 pm

I agree with Justin, the easiest way for me so far has been warm liquids.  I had my surgery the day after you and I bought some of those Celestial Seasonings teas and I have been able to keep down the liquids.  

The problem I had was my first bowel movement I had earlier today almost made me pass out.  It has been fine ever since however.  

daviswingard
on 11/2/12 8:06 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 10/30/12

Thank you all so much for your advice!  It's truly amazing to have all of you here to answer my questions.  I haven't thrown up since I left the hospital, but I think the fear of throwing up is what is making it hard for me to get the fluids in.  Every time I take a sip, I burp which hurts my sore muscles.  I'm trying to figure out how to stop swallowing a lot of air.  I've had two SF popsicles since I posted this question, and I think those may be my saving grace.  I will keep using those as well as sipping my water.  Thank you all for your support and advice.  It means to world to be able to talk with people who know exactly how I'm feeling!

Candy V.
on 11/2/12 11:21 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I agree with Justin,  once I started drinking hot tea (mint, Decaf black w lemon, chi) I had a much easier time getting liquids in.  I still dont hit 64 most days but I get closer than before the tea.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 492 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 491 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 363 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?