2 weeks post op- down 15 lbs- am I on track?

ageofmiracles43
on 1/8/13 1:08 am - NJ

This is my first post on OH, and I have some questions....I had RNY on Dec 24, and am feeling no pain but not enough energy for my taste....so here are my questions, first of all ,I lost 15 lbs in my first 2 weeks, is that normal? (ok it was actually about 1 week, 5 days?) Next, what do you all do about this dry mouth thing? and not to complain, but when will I stop feeling tired.  I'm going to try 10 minutes of exercise on my elliptical tonight, if I don't fall asleep on it. 

Thanks and looking forward to "meeting" you all!

RNY 12/24/2012 SW: 245 CW: 220.6 GW: 135 

If God Brings You to it, God Will Bring You Through It.

Lori F.
on 1/8/13 1:10 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

I was 3 days later than you and have about the same amount of weight loss.  I have been stuck for a couple days.  I would say you are doing good (from others I have read on here).

Sorry, can't help on the other issues.  I have been lucky and haven't had to deal with them.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

ageofmiracles43
on 1/8/13 1:16 am - NJ

Well good luck to you Lorelei, I hope things go well, and don't weigh yourself everyday, you'll go NUTS!! I'm not weighing in again until the 24th!! 

RNY 12/24/2012 SW: 245 CW: 220.6 GW: 135 

If God Brings You to it, God Will Bring You Through It.

Lori F.
on 1/8/13 1:18 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Good luck to you too!  Oh gosh - I would go crazier waiting that long between weigh ins.  I weigh myself daily but don't let it get to me.  I know fluctuations and stalls and mini stalls will happen and am okay with it :)

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

robin1103
on 1/8/13 1:18 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

the dry mouth is from lack of liquids.  Your body is still healing and you will feel tired.  I actually took along time to feel like I didn't want to sleep all the time.

It gets better-- concentrate on your fluids and protein for energy.  I knew when it was time for a protein shake when I felt exhausted.

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

anniechanging
on 1/8/13 1:21 am

Congrats on being post-surgery.  There is no "normal" in terms of weight loss.  Everyone is different and individual in his/her weight loss; it's dependent on SO many factors.  I certainly empathize with the "dry mouth thing".  I'm constantly thirsty (had my surgery in mid-November).  Try to sip water constantly (except for the lead up to, during, and after meal restrictions).  You need to allow yourself time to heal.  Your surgery was mere days ago.  You're going to feel weak and tired - it's normal!  Rest when you need to rest, and try light exercise when and if you feel up to it. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/13 1:22 am - OH

There really ISN'T any "on track" early out.  Everyone's body reacts differently and they lose at different rates, and some people retain a lot of water from the hospital IVs (and/or take a long time to get rid of it) whereas others don't have fluid issues at all.

Focus on getting the protein and fluids.  The weight loss will take care of itself.

For the dry mouth, I found that sucking on ice chips helped.

You just had major surgery, even if the incisions are tiny, and your body is trying to heal with VERY little nutrition coming in, so you may be tired for a couple of months.  As with everything else, it varies a lot from one person to another,

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

robyn_fresh
on 1/8/13 1:27 am
RNY on 12/18/12

My surgery date was Dec 18. My scale is a liar, but I think I've lost in the range of 25 and 27 pounds. You seem to be on track. Remember that a lot of people actually gain a couple of pounds from the fluids and such in the hospital stay. I feel very tired too and the waking to walk every 2 hours in the hospital has my sleep all messed up. I cannot fall asleep at night, so when I have to wake up in the am with my kids; I'm exhausted.

Lisa T.
on 1/8/13 2:40 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12

It seems silly but I found by exercising the fatigue went away rather quickly.  Early out I'd take short but more frequent walks and follow them up with a short nap.  Congrats on a smooth procedure and welcome kiss

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

happygrandma
on 1/8/13 6:17 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I think you are probably right about the exercise.  I'm three weeks out, down about 23 pounds and still really tired, absolutely no energy. But I've found, if I get up early and get going (vs. sleeping late and then watching TV and hanging out) I do much better.  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics