In need of some suggestions.

lizpete
on 1/15/13 8:40 pm - Marlboro, MA

Good Morning All.  I am 9.5 months out and doing well.  Down 91lbs from my beginning weight and 103 lbs down from 1 yr ago. YEAH!!!.  I have utilized all the tools and suggestion I found here and on a few other blogs.  World According to Eggface, Melting Mama, Nik;s page and I am thankful for all of you. 

That being said I have a few "issues" and would like to know how you handle them.

The "issues" are getting enough fluid and eating too fast. Since I teach a computer class the class room has a restriction of "No food or drink" .  I am scheduled from 8:30 until 5:30 with two 15 min breaks and 1 hr for lunch.  That does not leave a whole lot of time for "sipping all day long" and "snacking"  We all know and have had it drilled in not to drink for at least 30 minutes after eating soooooo  there is my problem. 

Any suggestions?  Please do not suggest asking for permission to bring a drink into the class room.  That is not an option.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/15/13 8:58 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

I don't sip all day long. I drink pretty fast. I would drink during your 15 minute breaks, and drink at the beginning of your lunch period and eat at the end of it. The only problem then is when do you pee? Can you leave during the class for quick emergency bathroom breaks?

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Hollie313
on 1/15/13 8:58 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Yikes....that is a tough one!  If it were me, I would probably CHUG 1 bottle of water before class.  Then, do your darndest to chug another one at breaks.  That really stinks about lunch, though.  By the time you're done eating and waiting to drink you're back to class.  Hmmm.....I'm interested in seeing what others think.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

artroxy blue
on 1/15/13 9:00 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Take frequent "bathroom breaks" to drink your liquids. I don't sip anymore, and can throw back a big glass of water in no time. 

If you can't do that, I'd drink more before and after work. 

angeleigh
on 1/15/13 9:15 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I personally do my protein shake in the morning, when getting my son ready for school. Which is 14oz of fluid. Then I do one water bottle which is 20oz on the drive in to school. During the day I dont drink much, sips every now and again. On the way home from work i do another 20 oz.  then after dinner till bed i do another 20 oz.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

MultiMom
on 1/15/13 9:19 pm - NH

Do you have a break (5-10 minutes) between classes? If so, walk out into the hallway with your water bottle and sip on it then. At 9 months out you should be able to down quite a bit during that time. Of course you might have to drink on your way to the bathroom and back!

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Larry Wassmann
on 1/15/13 9:36 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

You had your surgery just a little before me and I can drink just about as fast as I could before surgery. So like a lot of other here are saying I would drink as much as I could before class and as much as I could at break time, I don't sip at all never have after about the first couple of weeks. I do most of my liquid before I have breakfast. 3 cups of water, Then most of the rest of my liquid is in the evenings up to and sometime over 9 total cups or 72 oz each day at least without sipping at all during the day. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

lizpete
on 1/15/13 10:31 pm - Marlboro, MA

Thanks to everyone *****plied.  I am still having trouble "chugging" my fluids and I do try to drink at breaks.  I find the issue is that when we break most times I have a student or 2 who have some questions and they often take most of the break time. (sometimes they follow me into the rest room).  I guess I will just have to make it a priority and "set some boundries" with the students.

LilyBugsMommy
on 1/15/13 10:59 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Are you able to step outside into the hallway every so often to have a drink?

I work in a college and I know that could be hard, but, if you could just have your drink on a table by the door and every 30 minutes or so step outside to have a drink, that would at least help out that part of the problem.

Then, could eat during your lunch and step out for a sip of water as soon as you can afterwards.

Just a thought

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

BWB
on 1/15/13 11:05 pm

I would think that they could make a medical exception.  See if a letter from your surgeon would change their policy.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 232 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics