Coping mechanisms for emotional eating?

Katie K.
on 3/23/13 10:29 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
This is something I need to tackle pre op. I eat when I'm angry or frustrated. It makes me feel like I deserve something special, except I always seem to deserve it, and look where that got me. There are other factors involved, of course, but this will be a problem with my success if I don't get it figured out. What has worked for you?
BezoarGirl
on 3/23/13 10:38 am - WA

Are you getting this feeling at a certain time of the day?  If so make a note... I sometimes feel that way after dinner if I am watching tv.  I found that If I watch tv now in my bedroom I am ok with it because the kitchen is closed.  Try maybe a hot bath instead. 

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

Katie K.
on 3/23/13 10:51 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
A bath is a good idea. I take my phone (in a ziplock) in the bath to read or do Internet, so that could distract me long enough to eat regular food.
Lionhearted
on 3/23/13 10:55 am

I am currently seeing a therapist. I began the wls process about a month or so ago, and I seem to be getting a handle on the emotional side of my overeating. I am more mindful of what and why I eat. If you haven't already, try to use the health tracker section of this site. It is really helping me with the visual aspect. It also helps me write a small blog for myself, about my emotions and feelings about the day.

Good luck!

Lionhearted

Katie K.
on 3/23/13 11:10 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I'm in therapy, have been for years, but now I'm finally ready to deal with this issue.

I didn't know about the help tracker. I hope it's available on the mobile site as I only have Internet at home through my phone.

Maybe when I stop spending $300/month on food I can afford to get Internet.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/13 11:08 am - OH

Anything that is non-food that feels like a "treat" to you can be used as a substitute for the food.  What those things might be are as individual as each person.

I have to wonder, though, (sorry, occupational hazard) whether the food is really serving as "something special" when you're angry or frustrated.  Eating to soothe negative emotions is very different from eating to reward yourself.  What is the connection between anger and feeling like you deserve something special? Being able to identify the mental link between emotion and the eating is essential if you want to break that habit (and although substituting something else for the food is a good short-term strategy, long-term you will be more successful if you can break that behavior entirely).  Counseling can be invaluable in helping you look at the specifics of your life and the way your mind works and untangling what is going on and giving you support to break the habit of having to deal with negative emotions with some kind of external item.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie K.
on 3/23/13 11:17 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Hmm. My thought process is usually, "Eff this, I'm going out to eat/dessert/etc. I think usually it's the comfort of having someone wait on me. A pampering, if you will. That's why I think the bath is a good idea, in the short term, as you say. Also, I can't take a bath at work
Candy V.
on 3/23/13 11:18 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Do something you like.  Maybe read a book, go for a walk, make crafts ( I sew sometimes), go for a swim, play a game etc.  Try to make a list of thing to do that you enjoy, instead of eating.  Good luck, see you on the loosers bench!

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Katie K.
on 3/23/13 11:25 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I knit. My aunt said she would sell my scarves, so I suppose I could go away for a while and knit a few rows. Calm the anger/frustration and work toward a paycheck.
karenp8
on 3/23/13 12:12 pm - Brighton, IL

I knit or read or do puzzles or word searches or walk on my treadmill.