Sip, sip, sip... Forever?

Jodibee
on 5/15/13 11:58 am

I am three weeks out, doing great, just wondering about the sipping though.  Is it a forever thing or will we be able to take larger drinks later on?  It is okay to take larger drinks or does that cause damage to the pouch?

BWB
on 5/15/13 12:23 pm

Sometime in the last 1 1/2 years I could drink normally again.  Sorry I can't remember the exact time but it will improve for you too.

poet_kelly
on 5/15/13 12:30 pm - OH

You can't damage your pouch by drinking, even if you gulp or guzzle.  It might cause you discomfort or nausea, though.  I'm four years out and big gulps still feel uncomfortable for me but I take normal size drinks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/13 12:39 pm - OH

Many people can take normal sized drinks very early after surgery.  You can take whatever size drink doesn't cause you any discomfort.  For some people that means only small sips, for others that means a normal drink. Liquid never caused me any discomfort even while I was still in the hospital.  I often didn't WANT to drink, but it didn't hurt.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Missy A.
on 5/15/13 1:03 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I've been drinking normal size drinks since about day 4. It didn't bother me and I can even gulp some water down after workouts now.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Robin R.
on 5/15/13 1:08 pm - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

i'm a little over 6 months out. at my first month out i saw my mom gulping quickly down a little 3 oz glass of water. i became bugeyed and said YOU CAN DRINK NORMALLY AGAIN?! one of the things that bothered me most after surgery was not being able to drink my normal 4-5 gulp drink when i got thirsty just to satisfy that thirst. i can do it now. i take from 5-6...not really gulps, but decent size drinks when i'm drinking now. i noticed i was able to take more sips without discomfort a couple months ago. test your boundaries... but do it carefully. i thought i would be sipping forever. i gradually moved up and i'm not trying to chug away anything now, but i'm able to take a few decent gulps when i get thirsty after a workout or something and feel comfortable instead of the sipping...and forcing urself to get it down feeling. give it time, test your boundaries, and every case is different, but i'd say you have a good chance of being able to drink normally soon. :)

semitchell1972
on 5/15/13 1:09 pm
Just had surgery last week. I can take normal size drinks.
MrsLitch
on 5/15/13 1:31 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I've been drinking "normal" since surgery. It did take til about 3 mo. before I could "gulp" but my doc said we should be able to take regular drinks right away. Might as well try it if your pouch doesn't like it it will let you know.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Justcallmesuz
on 5/15/13 1:32 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

I've been drinking normal since two days after surgery. Has not bothered me at all.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Cherokeesage
on 5/15/13 1:54 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I was able to drink normal within the first month.  Also, I loved ice water right after surgery vs room temp.  The only hot drink I enjoyed was protein hot chocolate.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics