1 week post-op

aliceindietland
on 6/18/13 4:27 am
RNY on 06/11/13

So my surgery was one week ago today.  Just thought I would share my experience for those who have their surgeries coming up really soon.

I feel like maybe I'm sort of middle-of-the-road in terms of difficulty of recovery, maybe leaning more towards the easier end.  I don't have any pain remaining, and I'm just a little fatigued (been going to bed pretty early) but went shopping for a bit today and was totally fine. 

Yesterday I actually felt pretty fantastic, like yay I am a normal person again!  ... and then last night when I was going to bed I had the most horrible horrible gas pain/discomfort.  It hurt to lay on my stomach, and I had that have-to-burp-but-can't feeling which for some reason is the worst thing possible when you're trying to sleep.  I took some gas-x but it didn't really get better... I finally just ended up sleeping through it and felt okay when I woke up this morning.

Since a few days out of the hospital, I've been having diarrhea every morning.  However, it has gotten better - not as bad/much and also now waiting until I get up as opposed to waking me up at 2am heh.  I spoke to a nurse at my surgeon's office and she told me to add some fiber to my protein shakes and take some immodium.  (And also make extra sure I'm getting in all my fluids.)

I think what I have found the most difficult so far is that I have all of these different unfamiliar kinds of pain/discomfort and it's very hard to know what's causing it, and what's normal and what's not.  Like, I have NO CLUE what caused that horrible gas pain last night.  The only thing new that I ate all day was some Unjury chicken soup, and the last thing I had before going to bed was a Nectar protein drink, which I took over an hour to drink.  So no idea!  I also have only had once what I think was "pouch pain" - just below my sternum, and lasted about 40 minutes.  Super uncomfortable.  I think it was from drinking some protein shake too fast.

I am now trying dairy (yogurt) for the first time.  Wish me luck. :-p

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

Lisa828
on 6/18/13 4:44 am

Thank you for posting that cause I'm going for my surgery on Monday , the 24th. I'm glad your feeling good and make sure you walk a lot! That's all I hear from the nurses and my dr. Good luck with the dairy!! 

Sherry T.
on 6/18/13 4:49 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

Good Luck! 

Stephmom
on 6/18/13 5:19 am
Sounds like you are doing great! Thanks for the post, I'm hoping to get my surgery soon.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 522 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 530 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 388 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 10 replies · 100 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?