OT-ethics issue at mental health clinic - who to report this to?

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 3:54 am - OH

I'm hoping some of the members here can offer me some suggestions.  I know what's going on here is wrong.  It's at least unethical, if not illegal.  But I'm not sure who to contact or who to report it to.

Here is the situation.

A friend of mine sees a doctor at a local mental health clinic for depression.  The clinic does a sliding scale based on income and since he does not have insurance, based on his income, he only has to pay 75% of the fee.  So it costs him $82 to see the doctor every three months.  OK, that part sounds right to me.

He is on two different medications, and based on his income, he gets those both free from the companies that make them.  The doctor at the clinic had to sign paperwork for the pharmaceutical companies (the drugs are made by two different companies) and the companies send the medication to the clinic, here my friend picks it up once a month.  The medications are free.

Here is the part that I think is not right.  The clinic charges him for an appointment to pick up the meds.  He has to make an appointment with a "med nurse" to pick the medications up.  All she does is hand him the bottles and ask him to sign a form verifying he picked up the drugs.  For the appointment, the clinic is charging him $41.  I think there is something wrong with charging a patient $41 to pick up his free meds.

In addition, sometimes when he shows up for the scheduled appointment (it is schedule for the same time every month), he is told that only one of his meds is there.  They tell him that the other has not arrived yet.  I have a hard time believing pharmaceutical companies would be late sending people their meds on a semi-regular basis.  But when this happens, he must schedule a second appointment with the med nurse the following week, for which he is charged another $41.

Does this sound right to anyone?  I'm thinking it cannot be right.  But who would I contact about it?  The drug companies providing the meds?  The county mental health board?  Someone else?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

saterry
on 7/31/13 4:15 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I would call the AMA in that state and report the MD in charge of the clinic. I would also get the charge fees in writing and copy of the policy for this 'pick-up' charge. Save all receipts or get copies of past charges paid.

AND, no one likes bad press. Call the news media, all of them.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 4:46 am - OH

Ah, getting it in writing is a smart idea.  I assume my friend has that.  I think they fill out some sort of form with the charges, and he should have receipts, but I will ask him to make sure.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/31/13 8:54 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On July 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM Pacific Time, saterry wrote:

I would call the AMA in that state and report the MD in charge of the clinic. I would also get the charge fees in writing and copy of the policy for this 'pick-up' charge. Save all receipts or get copies of past charges paid.

AND, no one likes bad press. Call the news media, all of them.

100%!!

That is just second hand bull feed steaming in the field right there!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

SteveWebb
on 7/31/13 4:17 am - NC

That's a pile of crap Kelli, I would have him contact the Rep. at the pharm. Co and explain to them what is occurring.   I would also try to find another clinic to do business with.  They know they have him over a barrel.  Once you start on those meds you can't just stop them without losing your mind.  He might also check with the State agency that issues the license to the mental health people and speak top them about this.  Like you say, it may not be illegal but it is still crap!

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 4:45 am - OH

I was thinking of contacting the pharm.companies.

heather_leigh1990
on 7/31/13 4:43 am

You can always file a complaint with the Joint Commission too. That is if they are JCAHO accredited (most medical facilities are, and if they aren't then thats half the problem right there)

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 4:44 am - OH

I assume they are accredited.  I couldn't think of the name of the agency but yes, JCAHO.

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/31/13 5:02 am

omg if that's not criminal it should be! His meds are not all ready so he gets charged for the second time coming to pick them up? 

Insane!

the $41 also sounds crazy for 5-10 mins to pick up meds. 

I feel sorry for your friend I hope you can help him Kelly. Keep us updated. 

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 5:05 am - OH

Yes.  He is supposed to pick up the meds once a month and is charged $41 for that. But if both meds are not there when he arrives, he must come back in a week to get the rest, and is charged $41 more.

It probably takes less than five minutes to pick up the meds.  Seriously, the woman in charge of dispensing them leads him to her office, opens a cabinet and takes out his bottles, hands them to him, and hands him a clipboard with a form to sign that verifies he received them.  That is all.  She provides no medical care of any kind during that visit.  It's like picking up your meds at a drugstore.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 260 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 10 replies · 71 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?