OT-ethics issue at mental health clinic - who to report this to?

nfarris79
on 7/31/13 6:58 am, edited 7/31/13 6:58 am - Germantown, MD

He should also be able to get copies of Informed Consent at the clinic - which should explain any and all protocol at the clinic. If they charge for med mgt sessions (which doesn't really sound like a session here and I echo the recommendation to get the rx at a pharmacy using the compassion program), that should be clearly explained in the paperwork he signed at intake - - if he's signed something and it's clearly stated what their protocol is, then complaining to Board or JCAHO isn't really going to hold up. But.... word of mouth is worth it's weight in gold, so Angie's List, yahoo reviews, Find-A-Doc, and local media outlets ALWAYS have an open ear.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 10:44 am - OH

No, this is not for med management.  He sees a doctor at the clinic for that every three months and pays $82 for that service.  At those appointments, a nurse takes his vital signs and asks a few questions, then he meets with the doctor and discusses his meds and how he's doing.  This is something totally different from that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 7/31/13 7:43 pm - Germantown, MD

I'd be surprised if they don't have this kind of visit covered under their informed consent. If it's not explicitly stated, then they ARE leaving themselves open to legal/malpractice/fraud issues....A clinic can't bill for something that isn't an explained service, but they always have the freedom to provide services for free (e.g. I don't charge clients for phone calls or check ins but my consent forms state that if contact outside of a scheduled session lasts longer than 15 min, I have the option of billing as a crisis session).

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/31/13 8:08 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Kelly, I used to be a supervisor at the largest public mental health agency in Ohio.  This does not sound correct or ethical.  I would call the local Mental Health Board and ask to speak to the client's rights advocate for that agency.  Because you are sharing information with them you can tell them anything you want about your friend and HIPPA isn't involved--they just can't share information with you.  But they can find out the policy regarding such visits and let you know the policy in generic terms.  

As a proud member of NAMI, I am always happy to see persons involved in advocating for the rights of those with mental illness.  

Sonja

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

BWB
on 7/31/13 8:21 am

If any of this is going through Medicare he can call them at the Medicare fraud number.  They will be thorough in questioning him to determine if it is fraud.  

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 10:45 am - OH

He does not have Medicare (or Medicaid or any other insurance).

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/31/13 9:25 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Kelly,

This link will connect you to the client's rights advocate for whatever county you are in in Ohio (assuming your friend lives in Ohio).

http://mha.ohio.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=358

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 10:45 am - OH

Thanks for the link.  I will contact them and see what they think.

Dorkgirl_41
on 7/31/13 8:18 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I work with physicians and have in fact had deliveries of patient's meds come to our office through compassion programs. Never once have we charged a patient for a visit just to pick up meds. Whether illegal or not, I would certainly get it out there somehow that this office does this. Bad media might make them think twice about charging.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 10:46 am - OH

I was pretty sure doctor's did not typically charge patients to pick up meds.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 476 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 323 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 355 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics