Bruising easily, levels came out normal?

Momma1991
on 8/10/13 7:34 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

For the past 2 weeks I have noticed I am starting to bruise easily. I can bump my leg or knee into something and a few hours later my leg looks like I have been beaten up. Both my legs are covered in bruises and there is not one inch of skin to be seen without a bruise. I had my blood taken at my 2nd month check up, and it showed that my levels are fine expect my vitmian D level is low and so is my iron and said I am anemic. Being anemic is nothing new to me has I have been my whole life. I never use to bruise this easily. Is this a concern that I should call my doctor?

Katie K.
on 8/10/13 7:46 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Your bones are a lot closer to the surface now. I don't know if anemia causes bruises, but I have seen that people tend to bruise as they lose weight because the padding isn't there anymore.

I had crazy bruising several years ago. I looked like someone was beating the crap out of me, but none of the bruises hurt. I didnt even remember getting them. All my levels were fine. They think it was something to do with my meds. It eventually went away and never came back.

poet_kelly
on 8/10/13 7:46 am - OH

Being low in iron will cause bruising.  Did you increase your iron intake?  What about your vitamin  K, did you get that checked too?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Momma1991
on 8/10/13 8:08 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

i dont think they tested my vitamin k levels

poet_kelly
on 8/10/13 8:57 am - OH

Well, that's the other thing likely to cause bruising, but low iron will do it.  Is your iron lower than it has been in the past?  Did you increase your iron supplement?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Momma1991
on 8/11/13 6:58 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

They said that it is just a tad bit lower the what it normally is, but not bad. I havent upped my supplement yet as doctor hasnt advised it yet.

poet_kelly
on 8/11/13 7:01 am - OH

Well, it's definitely something to discuss with your doctor, but if your iron is lower than it usually is and you are anemic, it seems like increasing your iron would be the thing to do.  Otherwise it will continue to get lower and lower and you'll end up needing iron infusions.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/11/13 7:58 am - OH

Ask if they tested your Vit K.  If you specifically mentioned the bruising, I would expect that the doctor would have, but if it was just general labs they often don't. Low Vit K can not only cause excessive bruising, but it can also keep your blood from clotting properly if you cut yourself.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 483 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics