How much weight did you lose before you needed new clothes?

averybyrd
on 8/24/13 6:09 am

I started at 274; size 24. I'm down 22 lbs, but not really feeling it in my clothes (or at least not my pants). I think I can tell a difference in my face, hands, and ankles, which I love, but I'm kind of surprised that my pants aren't ANY looser. 

So, how much weight did you lose before you found yourself needing new outfits? Were you super excited and buying smaller clothes the moment you could, or did you wear belts until your pants fell down anyway?

I have to say, that of all the great things that are going to happen because of my RNY, new clothes might be what I'm most excited about right now!

NDHM
on 8/24/13 6:11 am
I'm thinking I had to lose about 30 pounds before I bought anything new. Congrats on the loss!!
Lisa828
on 8/24/13 6:16 am

I think it depends on what kind of pants you wear, cause I'm down 47 lbs and wear stretch pants and they fit better and they are longer on me now. It was funny cause I thought like you. When was it going to happen , when am I going into a smaller size? 

I really thought its not happening right now but my shirts I did. 

mussit64
on 8/24/13 6:19 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

I started  at 305 and I had lost 45 lbs. before it really made a difference.  I could tell it in my face and Boobs first.  But I am 83 lbs down and I am only down 1 size.  But I have lost over 46 3/4 inches overall.  I can really tell a difference now that I hit the 80 pound mark.   I am at 222 and my next goal is under 200.  I can get into some 20's but not all of them. 

Good luck 

karenp8
on 8/24/13 6:19 am - Brighton, IL

I'm thinking about 35 pounds or so. As you get to the smaller sizes it takes fewer pounds to drop one size.

VintageChick
on 8/24/13 6:25 am, edited 8/24/13 6:26 am

I'm down from 337 to 267 and am still wearing the same clothes. They've gone from snug to Baggie, but they're not falling off yet. I'm 5'3" and started in 26-28 tops and 24-26 pants. 

Edit: no idea why it corrected from baggy to Baggie, haha, but I have problems posting from ipad and can't fix it!!!!  Drives me nuts! :)

lap RNY 5-15-13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/13 6:58 am - OH

I started at about 330 and a size 26 or 28, and I had to lose 50 pounds before I could fit into clothes that were one size smaller.  I had to lose another 40 before dropping the NEXT clothing size.  That was probably one of the most frustrating parts of the first 6 months for me, because I kept reading posts about people (who were smaller) losing 30 pounds and dropping TWO sizes!  Unfortunately, as hard as it was to wrap my head arou d the science and logic of it, it takes losing uch more weight to change sizes when you are large than when you are smaller.  Somehow, after taking so long to drop into a 22 or 24, the 20 came relatively quickly, and then I totally skipped an 18!  Now, at a size 10/12, a five pound swing can mean tight or loose pants!

For work clothes, I had to buy new clothes more frequently, because I had to look professional, but I wore my baggy cotton knit Lands End pants for weekend wear until they almost literally fell off of me and I needed to go down two sizes to replace them. I had enough jeans and Dockers type pants from when I gained the weight that I was able to "shop" in my own closet.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Michele1az
on 8/24/13 8:15 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13 with

Hi! I have as much to lose as you did, so I love reading about you success! Thank you for sharing.  My surgery is on Monday. 

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

baepage
on 8/24/13 7:00 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I started at 291, size 22/24.  Now I'm at 228, size 16.  I think it was about 30 pounds before I had to move down a size.

Barbara

MGTeacher
on 8/24/13 7:37 am
I was about 265 before surgery and wore a tight size 24 or a size 26 in pants. I wore a size 3x in shirts. I've lost 42 lbs. since June. I now wear size 22 pants and 1X or XL in shirts. It took about 8-9 weeks and almost 35 lbs. to change my pants size. I've lost most of my inches in my stomach and hip area, but I definitely had the most weight in these areas!
Most Active
Recent Topics