First few days home..did you count calories or just eat/drink what was told.

Love2travel4
on 8/31/13 6:28 am
I was not given calories to follow, just a plan. But dear god, I can't believe how few calories it ends up being (I figured it out for my own curiosity).

B: 2 tbsp cream wheat (I was not able to eat another 2 tbsp)

S: nectar protein shake **** tea flavor) 16oz with water

L: 2 tbsp vanilla yogurt
2 tbsp sf pudding

I have also had 16 oz crystal light

My plan for the rest of the day: another protein shake, hopefully more liquids and dinner is 3 tbsp strained soup, 3 tbsp pudding.

40 G protein are supposed to come from my 2 shakes, done...no idea where the other 20 grams will come from. Because each tbsp has the tiniest fraction on protein. Thinking my shake tonight might have to be 2 scoops of protein powder to get it in.

I am not hungry at all, and measuring everything! I brought home the little cups from the hospital to use.

I am constantly thirsty and sipping, sipping and sipping!

Thanks for any input
cajungirl
on 8/31/13 6:50 am
No do not worry about counting calories or anything right now. Make sure you are sipping and getting in as much fluid as you can. The protein and calories will come in due time.

Hydration and walking are what you need to be focused on right now. 40 grams of protein this early out is actually above average for many.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 8/31/13 6:55 am - OH

I didn't count calories for the first couple of months, at least.  I just followed my plan.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Love2travel4
on 8/31/13 6:58 am
Okay...thanks for the reassurance!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/13 7:01 am - OH

I'm six years out and never counted calories.  For the first few weeks you definitely don't need to worry about calories because you can eat so incredibly little.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/31/13 11:51 am, edited 8/31/13 11:52 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Counted from the first day home. My nutritionist likes to see when how much and totals for various intake types. She said there are those that will I rest from the moment go and counting calories helps prevent that.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/31/13 12:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I didn't count calories while I was on liquids, but started the day I began soft foods.

To be honest, I didn't want the hassle of keeping a handwritten food log for my nutritionist, so I signed up for MyFitnessPal, and for the past year I have weighed measured and logged every last thing I've eaten. I think it has helped me enormously.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cherokeesage
on 9/1/13 6:21 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

No calorie counting at this point.  I count protein and try to stay under a certain number of carbs.  Don't know if this will always work but it works for the present.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 234 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?