Best way to mix upcal D?

kinny09
on 9/19/13 12:32 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Is there a good drink/way to mix this? It appears to dissolve but then it still has a very gritty texture when I drink. Tried it in hot coffee today, then some cold water. I have the packets of it, if that makes any diff. which I assume it doesn't. What do you usually mix yours in??

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Member Services
on 9/19/13 12:41 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Kinny,

We did a search for you on this subject and here are some threads talking about it.  We hope this helps  

UpCal D ... HELP! - ObesityHelp.com

Poet Kelly ~ Upcal D question ? - ObesityHelp.com

Upcal D - ObesityHelp.com

Upcal D for Dummies

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/19/13 12:45 am, edited 9/19/13 12:46 am - OH

beware: that last post is old, and the Upcal D formulation has changed.  It is no longer sweet at all, so please do NOT try just dumping it on your tongue.  you will really regret it, LOL!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/19/13 12:43 am - OH

Calcium citrate will not actually dissolve (although it seems to be better in hot liquids).  It just gets suspended in the liquid and gradually sinks to the bottom of the cup/glass.  I mix mine in with my morning SF hot chocolate (I'm not a coffee drinker) and I just re-stir if it has been a few minutes since I last took a drink of it. I also add a scoop of protein powder, and I don't notice a gritty texture as long as I keep it stirred.

I am not sure how they get the calcium dissolved in the vitamin and calcium flavored packets that Celebrate has.  It probably requires some kind of a chemical process.

Lora

kinny09
on 9/19/13 12:49 am, edited 9/19/13 12:50 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Thanks Lora - Yesterday I was scrambling to keep re-stirring it in my glass of water, because like you said it quickly sinks to the bottom. I will probably just look for a generic tablet calcium citrate after I finish the box of Upcal, it will probably be the easiest for me. Yeah I won't be dumping it on my tongue lol, I can tell it tastes a little funky and it's definitely not sweet.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

poet_kelly
on 9/19/13 12:50 am - OH

I usually put mine in my protein shake.  I put it in my cup with a lid and shake.  If it starts to settle to the bottom, I shake again.  It seems to me that it stays suspended better in a thicker drink like a protein shake, though I've also put it in tea and water.  Then I just have to shake or stir more often if I drink slow.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/19/13 12:55 am - OH

Yeah, I suspect that it why I don't have a lot of trouble with putting it in my hot chocloate with the protein powder... The thicker texture helps keep it suspended.

Lora 

OldmanJim
on 9/19/13 1:22 am - AZ

I use it everyday and mix it either in my Greek yogurt or applesauce.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 520 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 528 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 387 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 90 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?