What's on the menu today, RNY-ers?

Dcgirl
on 1/27/14 12:40 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Morning all!  

I am loving your food ideas...keep 'em coming!

Time since surgery: Exactly six weeks today (and 40 lbs lost as of this morning!)

B: 1 oz egg whites, 1/2 slice american cheese, 2 slices turkey bacon

L: Headed out to sushi, will have 3 oz yellowtail sashimi

S: A premier protein shake before Zumba class tonight

D: I defrosted Trader Joe's sweet basil pesto chicken and turkey sausages so I will pop one in the toaster oven (170 calories each and 21 g of protein)

As you can see I am a total planner.  I have to meticulously plan and weigh food to make sure I am eating the right things.  But I am seeing the results on the scale so I am happy to keep on keepin' on!

This will bring me to 637 calories and 85 g of protein.  Question: On a day that I am going to burn 700 or 800 calories at Zumba, is 637 carlories ok?  Or am I already creeping up too high on calories?  My NUT only gave me a protein goal and not a calorie goal, and until now I have been somewhat obsessed with staying around 600.  Now I see it getting closer to 700...any advice appreciated!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/14 12:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Ribeye for lunch. Grilled ham for dinner. Quest bars for two snacks.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Missella20
on 1/27/14 12:57 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Hi Dcgirl!

B- protein shake

L-  tuna salad with crackers

D- venison chili 

s-venison jerky, cheese stick, 1/2 protein bar

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Kim S.
on 1/27/14 12:59 am - Helena, AL

You must go to a seriously intense Zumba class to burn that much!  As a general rule, I do not "net" out the calories burned by exercise, and I do very intense workouts via boot camp and running....but I'm also in maintenance.  In the early days, when I was still losing and exercising, I had to increase my intake a bit so I wouldn't get light headed while working out.  For me, a few slices of "hard cheese" like colby or swiss and a couple Ritz crackers about 30 mins before a workout really helped my energy level, then a Greek yogurt afterward.....listen to your body.  AND I'm very proud that you are incorporating exercise into your plan....it really is the KEY to long term success.

Dcgirl
on 1/27/14 2:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Kim,

It's an hour long Zumba class, and actually MyFitnessPal says I would burn over 1000 calories!  I think it's becuase I am having to move 310 lbs around :(  Perhaps it's an overestimation.  Regardless, even if it just burned like 400 calories, do you think my calories are ok for six weeks out with an hour of intense cardio?  Just curious what your opinion is, as someone in maintenance :)  

Thanks!  Emily

Kim S.
on 1/27/14 5:44 am - Helena, AL

As long as you FEEL fine, then yes your calories should be fine.  You may find over time that your energy level drops drastically, or in the worse case (which was my issue) you get lightheaded, dizzy, nauseous and feel like you are going to pass out.  If that happens, then your body is sending an SOS and you need to correct for it.  I was experiencing severe drops in my blood sugar (and I'd never had sugar issues before) so I had to add a light protein/carb snack to power me through.

Keep on dancing!  I tried Zumba once....epic fail!!  I'm left handed, and obviously cannot do organized dancing, so I spent more time crashing into folks than actually dancing!

Dcgirl
on 1/27/14 11:51 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am terrible at Zumba too but it is a great workout for me-it's one hour of great cardio and I can really feel it! I just try to follow along and when I am out of sync I just keep moving :)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/14 6:35 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On January 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, Dcgirl wrote:

Hi Kim,

It's an hour long Zumba class, and actually MyFitnessPal says I would burn over 1000 calories!  I think it's becuase I am having to move 310 lbs around :(  Perhaps it's an overestimation.  Regardless, even if it just burned like 400 calories, do you think my calories are ok for six weeks out with an hour of intense cardio?  Just curious what your opinion is, as someone in maintenance :)  

Thanks!  Emily

Calories burned estimates are always way over. I never did net calories, or eating back any exercise calories at all. I ate the same number of calories every day until I g

ot close to my goal. We have so much extra fat to burn that it isn't necessary.

I wanted to lose as fast as I could during The honeymoon period. Take advantage of it while you can.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dcgirl
on 1/27/14 11:50 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Grim Traveller-I really appreciate your insight! I definitely don't eat more on days I get a lot of exercise but I do seem to need a few more calories those days - like a protein shake or cheese stick before the gym or I get dizzy. "More calories" for me is like 725 instead of my normal 600. I would never say "I burned 400 calories so I can eat 400 more calories". Like you, I want to take advantage of year one. You've done FANTASTICALLY, by the way!!!

Kenyatta W.
on 1/27/14 1:00 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13

Hey DcGirl!!!

Time out from surgery: Almost 13 months post op

Pre workout snack: 1/2 protein bar, Light baby bel cheese

B: 1 boiled egg, 1 slice turkey bacon, protein coffee

L: 3/4c turkey chili, 1/8c shredded cheese

S: 1/3c roasted chick peas flavored with splenda and cinnamon

D: Turkey pattie, 1/3c seasoned cooked mixed greens

E: 35 minutes on THE DEVIL (Elliptical), 10 minutes working on Abs which I had burned 361 calories

W/Vites: working on it

Totals: Calories 955, Protein 99 grams, Carbs 58 grams, Fat 40 grams

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 483 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics