Cold Intolerance

melissa_musicjunkie
on 2/9/14 6:14 am
RNY on 08/01/13

I am so cold ALL.THE.TIME. Except when I'm at the gym and physically working out...then I'm sweating like a pig and I have to position myself in front of the fan so I don't get overheated. Any tips on dealing with this cold? I've always been warm blooded, except for when I was pregnant with my third child, so this is totally new to me.

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

Caroline K.
on 2/9/14 6:27 am

I'm pre-op, but cold most of the time. I keep sweaters at home and at work, and fingerless gloves. My house has lap quilts in all major areas I spend time, and I keep a tuque around for when I'm really cold (most heat seems to escape through the head). Layers and wool socks help. I also warm my hands on hot mugs of tea...

melissa_musicjunkie
on 2/9/14 6:37 am
RNY on 08/01/13

Ah, warm tea and coffee....I used to always drin****d tea and coffee...well, I still do iced tea, but all my coffee now is hot. I'm just so uncomfortable and so not used to this! I hate socks!!

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

Caroline K.
on 2/9/14 6:46 am

I hear you. I never used to drink tea, and rarely drank coffee. But, I'd much rather be warm! It's also worse when I stop moving--I seem to chill rapidly once I'm sitting. I hope you find something that works for you... 

siberiancat
on 2/9/14 6:58 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Dress in layers so you can add/remove as your body temp changes.

I'm in Northern Indiana where it is cold.  I have a heating pad in "my chair" in the family room and put it on lower back and that helps.  Also use a electric blanket so I can climb in a warm bed at night.

I also drink hot tea - after 3pm I drink decaf as it effects my sleep.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

JenniPenny
on 2/9/14 7:32 am - MN

I was freezing cold the first year, you're losing your insulating layer and feel cold now. It levels itself out after while. Many have it the first 6 months to a year after surgery.

jen 12 yrs post op RNY

leslie14
on 2/9/14 9:46 am

I'm glad Melissa posted this question, and glad to hear from you that it levels it out!  I've never been one to get cold, but am cold so much now!

Surgery 10/1/2013  

PetHairMagnet
on 2/10/14 4:11 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, JenniPenny wrote:

I was freezing cold the first year, you're losing your insulating layer and feel cold now. It levels itself out after while. Many have it the first 6 months to a year after surgery.

jen 12 yrs post op RNY

I am so thankful to read this! I was actually thinking I'd never wear summer clothing again! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cunning_Pam
on 2/9/14 11:10 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I used to be hot all the time. I hated summer, and I was one of those obnoxious people who would walk around in the winter with short sleeved shirts, and *maybe* a sweater. Now...I have the heat up to 72 degrees in my house, and I STILL have to wear socks, long pants (sometimes jeans with yoga pants underneath them!) a tee shirt, long sleeve shirt over that, a zip up hoody sweatshirt over THAT, and sometimes...don't laugh...a scarf. My husband looks at me and thinks I'm crazy, but I'm so cold, like cold to the bone! And I have to sleep with socks on now, too, ugh! I joke with my surgeon that he found my thermostat and turned it way down! I'm not sure if I'll stay like this, but all I can say at this point is BRING ON SUMMER! I'm SO ready!  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

PetHairMagnet
on 2/9/14 11:56 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I am cold ALL THE TIME unless I am in a sauna or hot shower. Those are literally the only times I would not like it to be a bit warmer in this frigid winter! I am hoping summer is 'just right' for me this year because I am normally miserably hot from July to October. 

When I run I have to put hand warmers in my gloves and wear mittens over them. I sleep with an electric blanket on and keep a warm base layer on, too. I hope it regulates at some point...but for now I am just a chilly willy all the time! I am seriously considering having a steam shower installed when we redo this master bath so I can have the warmth without the waste of water. 

If I did not have a heated floor, I think my toes would have fallen off already, lol. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 487 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 76 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?