Tofu shirataki noodles - I love them!

Dcgirl
on 2/15/14 11:22 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ok so I have seen these "noodles" on many peoples menus and tonight I tried them for the first them. I am OBSESSED! I love them! So you buy them in the refrigerated section at the grocery store and they come in a bag in fluid. It smells, I gotta be honest. So as per the directions on the bag, I rinsed them well. Three times lol. Then I put them in a bowl of fresh water and put them in the microwave for 3 minutes. In the meantime I was cooking shrimp in a sauté pan. When the microwave sounded, I took the noodles out, poured off all the water, and added them to the pan. I added pesto in as my sauce and stirred it all up for a minute or two. I then put maybe 2 Oz of the noodles and maybe 5 shrimp into a bowl and sprinkled some grated Parmesan cheese on top. Honestly they tasted just like noodles!!! I did not find them rubbery or smelly. They absorbed the pesto taste and I truly felt like I was having pasta!!! And a 4 Oz serving has 20 calories, 3 g of carbs and 1 g of protein. I served them to a friend and they loved them too! I am such a pasta lover and I feel like these noodles give me such a satisfying base for meat sauce or whatever! I know I'm going to get some comments that they are terrible, but try them for yourselves! It's all about the preparation (rinsing, boiling, pan cooking). Sooooo worth it, in my opinion! 

And they have macaroni noodles, fettuccine noodles, spaghetti and angel hair. I can see some low carb Mac and cheese as a special great when I make century club :)

Sorry for my exuberance-I'm just pretty much ecstatic! 

Cunning_Pam
on 2/15/14 11:33 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm glad you like them! A replacement for pasta would be a good thing. Since your experience seems so different from mine, what brand did you get? Maybe that's why I had trouble with them the first time, a different brand might make the difference.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Dcgirl
on 2/15/14 11:38 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Nasoya is the brand and it's called Pasta Zero Plus. Harris Teeter had them. I think it's key to rinse and boil and then pan "fry". Honestly I feel so happy because a life without pasta was kinda bleak (but necessary for me because carbs beget carbs and I cannot control myself around noodles!). Maybe give these another try? I mean, if my non-WLS friend got excited about these and enjoyed them, perhaps it has to do with brand? Good luck, Pam!

Cunning_Pam
on 2/15/14 11:43 am
RNY on 12/18/13

It may be the brand. I can't remember what brand the ones I'd bought before were. Maybe they were just old or something, I can't picture there being much demand for them at our neighborhood Dierberg's! I'll try the Whole Foods nearby and see if they can hook me up.

I know what you mean about pasta, I used to eat most of a pound of pasta with sauce all by myself.  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Ceithlenn
on 2/15/14 12:01 pm - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

Pasta has never been one of my things but I do want them every once in a great while so I think I will try these sometime. My fiance LOVE LOVES pasta so I will try these on him and see how it goes as well, its the thing he misses having regularly. 

Thanks

Heather

Dcgirl
on 2/15/14 12:05 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Don't tell him they are tofu and make sure you use a delicious sauce-see if he even notices! Honestly I wouldn't have known they were low carb tofu noodles :)

Ladytazz
on 2/15/14 12:27 pm

I so wanted to like these.  I tried several brands and several ways of cooking/soaking them and I could not do it.  I recently tried again.  It's not just the smell, which is hard for me to get past, it just tasted "off" to me.  I wish I could like them, believe me. And I am not very picky.  Maybe the texture combined with the smell, I don't know.  I couldn't even tolerate them smothered with sauce.  I tried, I really did.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

illinois Gama D.
on 2/15/14 12:33 pm

me to Lady, me to, just thought they were nasty and hubby smelled them, and tossed his in the garbage!  So for as often as I have pasta, I have pasta, no more fake pasta for us,

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Miss Liss
on 2/17/14 12:17 am

I so wanted to like them too.  I tried them a couple of different times in different brands.  I just couldn't take the texture.  They didn't have the texture of a noodle to me.  I have a thing about textures as it relates to substitutes.  I think of certain foods as having certain textures and if the substitute doesn't have the texture, it makes me gag.  LOL.  I gagged both times I tried to eat them.  So, if I want pasta, which isn't very often, I just eat the real deal and be done with it. 

aspanishdancer70
on 2/15/14 10:34 pm - Covington, GA

Hi my name is April I saw that u had surgery and then u got a revision what exactly is a revision explain what they do for example I got roux n y what kind of revision whould I get

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 499 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 498 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 371 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 86 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?