Hair loss

iluvpugs22
on 3/12/14 12:04 am

So my hair loss has begun.  It's been about 2 weeks now & it's really getting me down.  Anyone have any suggestions to help with this?  I know it's a normal side effect but I didn't know if there was something to do to stop it sooner.  TY!!

1HealthyMomma
on 3/12/14 12:25 am, edited 3/12/14 12:37 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I am pre-op and haven't lost any hair from WLS but I did lose about 75% of my hair when I quit smoking 2.5 years ago after a lot of tests doctor said it was from not releasing my stress so I truly feel your pain. You have to just try be keep you eye on the prize. Within a year all my hair was back and I went back to having the thickest hair of all my friend and family and I was smoke free. Stay strong hon.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Velma44
on 3/12/14 12:25 am

Hi, I've been there.

as soon as I slacked off on my vitamins and protein the hairloss started by the handfuls. Once I got back on track with the supplements it took about 3 weeks to stop the major fall out. I've started using a shampoo called Nioxin and it seems to help with getting some extra growth going again.

Good luck

Velma

MarilynDee
on 3/12/14 12:54 am

Make sure and get your protein in, plus a Biotin supplement. I lost massive hair, but I have always had a very heavy hair loss. Luckily I have very thick hair.

Good Luck, DeeW

karenp8
on 3/12/14 12:57 am - Brighton, IL

I feel your pain. I had RNY 18 months ago,then nine months later I had surgery on my left foot. In January I had the same surgery on my right foot. Each surgery has caused me to lose some hair but it does grow back! As you begin to lose weight the hair is not quite such a big deal. If I can wear small clothes I can get over the hair. Really the only thing you can do is to make sure you get your protein and vitamins in each day. The expensive shampoos don't really seem to help much. It grows back when it's ready to!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/12/14 2:16 am - OH

If you get in enough protein and your vitamins it will keep the hair loss from being any WORSE than it would otherwise be, but there isn't anything you can do to minimize the amount of loss or shorten the time period.

Taking biotin MIGHT help with regrowth, but there is no solid evidence for that and too much can cause growth of facial hair.  It will NOT affect the loss, however.

As already mentioned, other people will notice it much less than you do especially since your face will be getting smaller as the hair is thinning.

You can google telogen effluvium to understand what causes it and why there isn't anything you can do about it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

iluvpugs22
on 3/12/14 2:40 am

Thank you so much everyone!!!

Valerie G.
on 3/12/14 2:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nothing to stop it, but a makeover will serve dual purpose.

Add some layers that the new growth can blend into easily.  It's also a fantastic mood lifter.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dee.spunk
on 3/12/14 4:55 am - Sacramento, CA
Like people said, not much you can do about it. Just get your vitamins and protein in. I ended using a wig for a while cause I literally looked bald. But eventually it grew back.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

PetHairMagnet
on 3/12/14 8:26 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Beyond good nutrition and favorable genetics, I don't think anything will slow the loss, HOWEVER, I did have good luck with the use of plumping products. My hair loss was fairly severe, strangers asking me about where I was doing chemo...that type of thing. Good times, good times. But you know what...it really did not matter once I embraced it was short term. I had my hair done recently and my hairdresser was raving about all the new growth I have and how lush my hair is getting. Between months 4-8 it was awful and then around 8 I could tell the loss had ended and two months later, it is absolutely coming back even better than before. :)

One thing I chose to do was to 'dethatch' my head at least once a day. I would draw my fingers through it and remove all loose hairs so that it was not falling out all day long. Somehow controlling the amount of loss to a single time helped me mentally get through it. If I had a 'hair waterfall' all day long, it would have seemed much worse for me. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics