I guess I need to go back to shakes???

alaskasusan
on 4/23/14 10:11 am, edited 4/23/14 10:14 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

14 (very happy) months out and while I know the 'goal' is to be shake-free, I cannot yet manage to eat enough to get all the protein that I know that I need from food alone.  I have no qualms about continuing protein shakes (1 per day) as long as "I" need them.  Remember that your body is unique and there is absolutely no one-size-fits-all plan.  As others have stated and I am sure you are aware, protein is MAJOR to focus on...you MUST get in adequate protein to heal and to function.  Work with your doctor of course, but be aware that not all surgeons (even bariatric) are fully educated on nutrition requirements.  Good for you for getting involved in your own health... and best of luck to you!!

sockmonkey2014
on 4/23/14 10:25 am

I'm 11 weeks post op and I still drink 1  protein drink in the morning with 1 scoop of protein  and 1 protein drink at 7pm with 1 to 2 scoops of protein   21 grams of protein in each scoop. Other wise I wouldn't get my protein in ever and only eat 426 in calories

KatBee
on 4/24/14 10:45 am

I'm almost 14 months post op & I have a protein shake at least 5 days a week. I need to make sure I get in the protein & usually have this for my breakfast.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/25/14 12:50 am

Something is wrong here, you need to be getting in protein, not eating oranges.  Protein and water is what your body needs now, nothing else at all.  I personally hate protein drinks and don't advocate them when you can eat full foods, but right now you cannot eat anything so drinking low sugar high protein drinks is your only option.  Why you are messing around with this I don't understand.  You aren't helping yourself at all and this is only the beginning of learning to eat again for success instead of regain and failure.

Bsheldon
on 4/25/14 1:26 am

Thank you, but I was looking for advice, not a scolding! I am new to this and just eating stuff off of MY surgeons recommended diet list. Thank you to each of you that helped me decide to get some extra protein. The shakes add protein and calories. I have been drinking one and sometimes two daily. They are becoming increasingly difficult to stomach though. 

Surgery Date: 4/10/14 HW-279 SW-270 CW-144 GW-140

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 520 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 528 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 387 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 90 views