NO PLASTICS NEEDED??

Laura in Texas
on 5/3/14 10:25 pm

Wow. Only 10% have had plastics???? That number seems low. I know many people like me to had to have it for our mental health. As far as the cost is concerned, where there is a will, there is a way. Residency programs are an inexpensive way to go. I looked into one here that has an excellent reputation.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Ready4Change1219
on 5/3/14 10:32 pm

thats what i thought when i first heard that as well, 10% really?!? lol it does seem low, but anyways never heard of a residency program?? You mind sharing a few more details on what that is? And payments thru a program like that how it may differ from the norm?

Laura in Texas
on 5/4/14 12:24 am

Residency programs can be half the cost. The surgeries are performed by residents under the supervision of a plastic surgeon. HERE is an old post from the plastics program listing some of the programs around the country.

Laura in Texas

Ready4Change1219
on 5/4/14 12:37 am

thats a great idea, thank you for sharing. i would have never known that exsisted had you not mentioned it in your response!! thanks again :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/14 2:25 am - OH

I would be very surprised if only 10% have plastic surgery, especially when you take into account insurance-paid panniculectomies.  

With the people I know IRL, the figure is well over 30%. Now some people only have one simple procedure done (either just panni or just arms, rather than a full LBL, for example), but it is still more than 1 out of every 3.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laura in Texas
on 5/4/14 4:31 am

I'd say that is my guess as far as percentage of people I know who have had something done, too. Much higher than 10%.

Laura in Texas

Brimiller808
on 5/4/14 1:37 am, edited 5/4/14 1:37 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

The thought has crossed my mind but the cost and recovery keeps me from thinking about it any further. Now if it was covered by insurance and I'd be fully recovered within a couple of days then I might jump on it!  The surgery kind of freaks me out a little too by watching videos of it!  I am, however, thinking about a mini face lift. : )

Bottom line... Do what makes you feel best!  I'm 51 so I had no high hopes of my skin going back to the way it was 25 years ago. 

Ready4Change1219
on 5/4/14 2:58 am

thanks everyone for the responses ive learned alot, i never would have expected so many awesome HONEST answers

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/4/14 5:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I rather doubt I'll have plastic surgery, but you never know. Apparently I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia during my sleeve surgery, my BP dropped when they started it and they had a very hard time waking me up once surgery was over; I'd be very nervous about going under again.

I've lost about 60% of my weight so far and my skin looks just fine so far, maybe it's because I'm relatively young among the WLS crowd (31), maybe it's because I still have another 40ish to go and it won't be really obvious until I hit that last third, I dunno. 

Insurance doesn't pay for cosmetic surgery, and with the way things are shrinking I'm not sure I'll have enough of a panni to warrant medical necessity. And I'm not sure I'm OK with the idea of cosmetic surgery for myself from an emotional/self-esteem/self-acceptance POV (myself only, others should do whatever makes them happpy!) so I rather doubt I'd end up doing it unless it was extreme.

Either way, I might end up trying to get pregnant after hitting goal, so any surgery would need to wait until after that!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/14 7:32 am

I was worried that I was going to look like a deflated balloon after surgery. Starting at 246 and losing over 125 pounds in less than 10 months my body has struggled to keep up. However, I've noticed that everyday with regular exercise and lotioning (I swear by daily lotion application) my body is lookin more and more normal. I will not NEED any skin removal or plastics. Although I wouldn't mind having my breast done out of plain vanity nothing needs to be done. It's surprising how everyday things get a little tighter and smoother. Give your body time before you make that choice, may be surprised that it isn't nescessary at all!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 495 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 366 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 81 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?