Can water really have THAT MUCH IMPACT on weight loss??

Gwen M.
on 3/20/15 11:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I do this ALL the time.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

catalina07
on 3/20/15 12:06 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Wow such a mixed response! I know I really don't want to drink most of the time but I can try to force myself more if its TRULY necessary.  According to the doctors, I should.  I am going to try to be more responsible abou****er. I log all of my food, I take all of my vitamins (most of the time****ep track of my exercise, track my weight loss...I guess it might be time to start keeping track of my fluids. ugh, glad this is "the easy way". lol  I guess what's one more thing to keep track of. 

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

CHELLEYGIRL
on 3/20/15 12:22 am - PALMDALE, CA

Like you, I am never thirsty. And when i am I would drink a cup of water. Well i did it that way for over a year and a half and started having terrible stomach spasms, the docs never could find why. had scopes and everything. Well that way of drinking eventually landed me passing out in walmart in front of my daughter and having to take an ambulance to the hospital. I was re-hydrated there and i force my self on good days i will have almost 100 oz and on bad i will have 20 oz. mainly i stick with aiming for about 64 oz. Just becareful. As soon as i was re-hydrated my stomach spasms went away, and I havent had on since. Good luck to you!!! You are doing great congrats on losing what you have so far!!!! Keep it up!

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Patm
on 3/20/15 12:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I find I feel better when I get my water in. It also helps with the constipation I have had since surgery. I now kep a cup of water on my desk at work to remind me to sip

selhard
on 3/20/15 1:14 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Some people think bowel obstructions can be related to WLSers not drinking enough water on a regular basis.  Ever listened to someone who had a bowel obstruction? A support group member who did gave me a healthy dose of fear and I notice she clings to her water bottle like none other! 

sistah3
on 3/20/15 1:23 am

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm in the exact same boat and was wondering the same thing. Looks like I'll be drinking like a fish for the next week or 2!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/20/15 11:57 am - OH

I have never seen anything to support the idea that drinking water physically helps or hinders weight loss except by potentially making you feel fuller and therefore eat less.  It does, however, keep you from getting dehydrated and from developing kidney stones (which we are more prone to after RNY). You do NOT want kidney stones, trust me!

As long you are not dehydrated, are not thirsty, and are not having problems with kidney stones, you are probably getting enough water. Not everyone really needs 64-80 ounces a day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NYMom222
on 3/21/15 4:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I hear you, drinking water is even harder after surgery. Growing up we never worried were we getting enough fluids. I think the surgery can make it different though. I have gone through different stages of how to get it in. For awhile I was keeping a 16oz/pint mason jar on my nightstand, so I could fill it with water and drink it while I was getting ready. Then I would have my protein shake, which I always added extra water/ice/milk to to make 160z. - half way there. 2 cups coffee or tea... (The dieticians at my surgeons office say we can count up to 16oz toward out daily totals....) then just one 16oz bottle/cup to sip through the afternoon. When I reach my 64oz lots of time I just stop for the day. Lately I have been taking diet V-8 splash and adding it 1/2 and 1/2 to water. Some people use the drops, and crystal light... I can't stand any of them. For some reason I can tolerate the V-8 splash watered down. Just like we can't go by our hunger signals, we can't necessarily go by our thirst signals either.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active