Can water really have THAT MUCH IMPACT on weight loss??

catalina07
on 3/19/15 10:02 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I am doing the right things. I am even exercising now, which is something that I didn't think I would really get into. Anyway, I am so frustrated because now that I have FINALLY got to onederland, the scale wont budge. It's like it is tormenting me...staying ever so close to 200 but just below. 299, 298, 297, 298, 299, 298...etc.  The only thing that i can think of that I am NOT doing right, is with my fluid intake. I am definitely NOT drinking enough but I am just never thirsty! Even when I am I just drink a little and I'm pretty much good for most of the day. Can water really have THAT MUCH IMPACT as to stop weight loss???  I am curious if anyone has any of their own personal experience with this topic. 

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Ocalasam
on 3/19/15 10:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I can tell you from experience that ANY time I was at a stall, upping my water intake would break that stall.  You should be drinking half of your weight in ounces everyday.  If you are around 300 pounds. . . that's 150 ounces a day of water!  I wouldn't start by drinking that much.  Just set some realistic goals.  Start with 60 ounces a day.  That is totally attainable.  I do things like - not eat my lunch until I drink a bottle of water.  Drink a bottle first thing in the morning with your vitamins.  Have a bottle of water with you all the time.  If it's there, you are more likely to drink it. 

White Dove
on 3/19/15 11:38 pm - Warren, OH

I grew up in the 1950's when being obese was rare.  People did not drink much water then.  Maybe a sip after brushing our teeth or if we had to take a pill.  There were no glasses of water at our meals.  There was a drinking fountain at school and everyone took a quick drink after recess.  We waited in line for our turn. 

The water drinking fad started sometime in the 1980's.  Suddenly we were told our bodies needed water and the message was so strongly preached that people started buying bottles of water to carry around with them.  Oddly the advent of excessive water drinking happened along with the obesity epidemic.

I don't think water drinking makes any impact at all on weight loss.  I believe weight loss is from eating less calories than are burned.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NadiaM
on 3/20/15 11:14 pm

I really don't think its drinking more water that has contributed to our society's obesity problem. Has a lot more to do with the change in nutrition and how it is so much cheaper to buy prepared/junk food rather than fresh healthy products. More accessibility to ast food, processed food and everybody uses their car to get around these days. 

White Dove
on 3/20/15 11:40 pm - Warren, OH

I am not saying that drinking water caused the problem, I am saying that drinking more water does not cause sustained weight loss.  It may help with temporary water retention, but certainly did not result in the elimination of obesity.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/21/15 12:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Your opinion is unpopular, but I agree with it.  

I drink a lot of water because, well, I am a rule follower.  The Clinic is adamant that I need 80 oz a day minimum -- and thus, I have never gone below that amount.  I do count all clear liquids, however, including coffee, tea and caffeinated beverages.  The Clinic encourages this.

Do I think it makes me lose weight though?  Nope.  I really don't.  

In fact, I will go one further and state that I think that drinking of high calorie fluids (no****er) has contributed to obesity.  I think millions of people in the world thrive and are much more lean drinking far less than 80 oz of anything a day.  JMHO.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

plantfood
on 3/22/15 12:14 pm - Shoreline , WA
RNY on 03/11/15

I appreciate your opinion and experience but the logic is faulty. I don't have the symbols to use here, but basically it may or may not be a correlation but not a cause or proof of the reverse. As you said, people at that time were not obese, and there was no data saying whether people who were thin would have their weight change. Even with this obesity epidemic, we are still living longer lives. I believe there are studies that show that good hydration is good for our health. So although it may not lead directly to weight loss, improved health will make someone feel better and be more apt to follow their diet and exercise plans.

Paul C.
on 3/19/15 11:41 pm - Cumming, GA

YES it can!

Part of it is you need to be flushing the crap out of your kidneys.  During extreme weightloss your kidneys are working over time, keeping them flushed out helps.  I know it sounds weird but if you are dehydrated your body will actually begin to retain water.  After one race I finished extremely dehydrated I gained 0 pounds in 3 days.  Drank like water was going out of style for a couple days and then pissed like a race horse for 4  a week later I was down 2 pounds from pre-race weight.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
chulbert
on 3/19/15 11:45 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Not really, no.  While it's important to remain hydrated our bodies don't really need any help regulating themselves.  If you're getting dehydrated then you'll get thirsty, otherwise you won't.

catalina07
on 3/20/15 12:00 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

OOPS! That shouldve said 199, 198, 197, 198, 199, 198.....  I guess I am still not use to having a ONE in front! lol

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?