How long did you stay on protein drinks?

boxtop2006
on 8/3/15 4:40 am, edited 8/3/15 4:43 am
RNY on 03/24/15

I have never been a breakfast person, but I know it isn't good to skip meals either so I have a premier protein shake every morning for breakfast now.  It holds me over until lunch and gives me a head start on my protein intake.  If I find I am short on my protein by the end of the day I will sometimes have a half a shake as a desert.  I have found the chocolate shake tastes a lot like a thick chocolate milk, I no longer taste the vitamins in it, I guess since I am so use to drinking them now.  I will probably stay with 1 shake a day for the rest of my life since I don't do breakfast.  Good Luck with your weight loss, I hope you break your stall soon, I know how devistating they can be!!  Keep up the fight and don't get discouraged, the weight will start to drop again! :)

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/15 11:44 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I think it is a matter of what works for you and what your preferences are - I drank protein shakes regularly for the first 18 months, but decided I would prefer to get my protein from food sources. I have not had a protein shake in a couple of months and I do not miss them, and I am getting my protein in.  I have switched my greek yogurt to Triple Zero because it is 15 grams per serving and sweetened with Stevia. 

cheapskate
on 8/3/15 11:45 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I like an 80 cal Greek yogurt and dice up 1/3 of a protein bar in it. I also like 1/2 f a plain fage with 1/2 scoop of quest protein powder and 1 packet of.splenda mixed in. 

I will probes drink a price drink intheorninh for.life,but I love them

AmyDee123
on 8/3/15 12:05 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

You are allowed protein bars?  And can handle them?  The sugar alcohols are almost as bad as dumping.  What kind did you find tht works?  What is the carb content.  Keep in mind I am only allowed 10g of carbs a day.  Yogurt kicks that right out I think.  What are the nutritionals on your yogurt/protein bar combo?

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

cheapskate
on 8/3/15 3:55 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

a half of a container of fage is 3.5 ounces and 3.5 carbs. It is super thick and keeps me full for a long time. the other kinds I can eat the whole container but Fage I cant so maybe try it.

My doctor has told me to eat whatever I can tolerate. I dont know if that is his policy or him taking pity on me because I am not tolerating much. I eat 1/3 of a protein bar less than once a week so the sugar alcohols dont affect me. I think my carbs on that would be like 15 for the yogurt and protein bar with 20 proteins total.

I never eat over 30 carbs unless I have wendys chili then I might go to 35. But I havent been eating that very often.

when you count your carbs does your doctor have you subtract out the fiber or do you count it all? I say that because my shake has 4 carbs and 2 fibers so for some people that is only 2. I count the overall because I am lazy.

Typically I eat/drink 1 shake with iced decaf coffee, a yogurt, and another small meal or 2 daily and that is it. So today Ihad a strawberry shake, I am having a yogurt w/protein bar in it, 4 grilled chicken nuggets from chic fil a. That puts me at 62 and when I get home I will have something else, I have a bunch of stuff in the fridge preportioned and marked with the protein count.

Navychic
on 8/3/15 1:25 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

I love my protein chocolate in my morning coffee.  It is about 35 g protein which is great, 140 calories (doable for a meal, ie breakfast), and only 5 grams Carbs.  My daily goal is 30 carbs, so it fits in right on track.   I plan to do them for as long as the morning hunger isn't an issue...but considering I never really ate breakfast I doubt it will be and this is so much better way to start the day...

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Thomas H.
on 8/3/15 8:49 am, edited 8/3/15 8:49 am - Saint Petersburg, FL

I stopped drinking them as soon as I was cleared for soft foods. I switch back to them if I have a bad day where my pouch seems unsettled. Like yesterday I was fine all day until I decided to eat some leftover pieces of chicken I had in the fridge, for no reason a half hour later I threw it all back up. I may of ate too fast. Had a protein shake this morning and my tummy felt better. :) If you get bored of the shake flavors, remember extracts can liven things up. I got some mint extract and added it to my chocolate mix and it was like drinking chocolate mint ice cream....it helped a lot. 

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

robinreinhardt
on 8/3/15 4:12 pm

Amy,

I am only 7 months out from a RNY, but I still have 2 a day with 1/2 cup of skim milk. Only because I am a picky eater and am addicted to chocolate. Lol

Follow your Dr. he's the expert as to what is successful for patients. Good luck.

Love to you,

Robin

Laura in Texas
on 8/3/15 6:17 pm

I'm almost 7 years out and still have a protein shake most mornings for breakfast out of convenience. On school days I leave the house at 6 and I drink it on the way to work.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lynnc99
on 8/3/15 6:21 pm

Amy, I still have at least 1 shake a day, usually at breakfast. Creature of habit, I guess, but it front loads my protein for the day. 

Occasionally I mix it up and eat a high protein breakfast and move the shake to later in the day.

High protein options I like include:

Hard boiled egg whites (a whole egg is ok, but I might have 3 egg whites and find it very filling and protein packed, with low calories)

Tuna

Salmon burgers - Costco carries a brand called Trident in the frozen foods. Clean label, 20 gm protein and 170 cal each

And occasionally I have a grilled hamburger patty - I always feel guilty because the calories are a bit higher, but the protein is high too. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 496 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 496 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 369 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 84 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?