RNY...What foods don't sit well with you??

cabin111
on 5/1/16 10:17 pm

Thought I would bring this question up...Many new people want to know.  I'm over 9 years out...I've only dumped once during those 9 years.  There have been a few semi dumps...But nothing really bad. 

So what foods give you problems or do you avoid...??  This is probably for those of you who are at least 1 year out...Over the years most people test their limits and find out what works and what doesn't...

Below is something I posted on the Men's Forum where a new guy was wondering about giving up certain foods. 

Here are a few things that don't sit well with my pouch...I can eat them, but try and avoid a lot of them;  large amounts of coffee, soft serve ice cream.  pork (just 1 or 2 pieces...hard to digest), pasta, pancakes...Again I can eat these, but in very little amounts.  Deep fried foods, Chinese foods, deer, bear...All these things I can and have eaten...But they don't digest well in the small intestine. Almost like when you've had too much Chinese food...That feeling you get.  So if I go out I'll get a cup of chicken/beef vegetable soup and hot or cold tea (with a little Splenda and sugar).  I'll pick off my wife's plate a lot...We've gotten use to it.  I'll have 4-5 McDonald's French Fries...And take the rest home for later.  I know if I ate a whole bag of medium fries I would feel bad...So I choose not to.  Doggy bags become your friend.  I and everyone who has had surgery, has had to rethink how they eat.  Yes, Las Vegas and Hometown Buffett may not excite you...But being near normal weight totally makes up for it!!  Now I'll have a Pepsi...But 3-4oz in ice...Good bye Big Gulps!!  But you sort of knew that anyways...And I'll try and do the penance for my sins...Working off the bad food with work or exercise and eating the right foods during the rest of the day.  Brian

AngryViking
on 5/2/16 5:22 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I'm OK with most foods, but eggs can be tricky for me.  Hard boiled is OK, but other versions not so much.  And sugar alcohols do not agree with me at all.  AT ALL.  lol 

melissasue1982
on 5/2/16 5:50 am
RNY on 04/06/15

The only meats I can tolerate, although in small quantities are deli turkey/chicken breast (2 oz) and pepperoni (1oz), that's about it in the meat department.  Unless I am forgetting something.  I eat a lot of tofu now.

Other than that most things go down well.

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/2/16 6:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have yet to find anything (past the first 5 months after surgery while healing) that I couldn't eat.  However, my caveat is that I haven't ever "tested" my limits or eaten off plan.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

RNY0615
on 5/2/16 7:44 am

BACON (SUPER sad face!!!), sugar alcohols, liquid cheeses (think cheese dip or nacho cheese), real dairy, more than about 6g of sugar at a time. I'm a dumper, so I imagine anything carb loaded. I follow the diet pretty strictly, so I haven't run into a lot of issues yet. 

There are probably more, but I stick to meat almost exclusively, and other than bacon I've done fine with all meats. I measure 2.5-3 ounces per serving (10 months out) and that keeps me healthy and satisfied so far! 

dog_hair_dinner
on 5/3/16 5:47 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I'm kind of in a weird situation right now.  Everything except lactose-free, fat-free, milk, yogurt, berries, chicken breast (or other very lean meat), light cheese, and shrimp are causing me nausea and accelerated heart beat.  The nurse who's monitoring my case at the hospital thinks it might be because I'm not getting any starches in my diet.  The only carbs I'm getting are from dairy and berries. She wants me to try eating a few crackers at lunch and a 1/3 of a potato at dinner, wait three days, then if I'm not better, they're going to get a dietician to call me.  The nurse says it's probably too early for me to have an ulcer and I'm on my PPI's (for acid reflux), so we're investigating dietary issues first.  Fun times.

siberiancat
on 5/3/16 12:28 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Anything fried, meat - unless it is ground, anything with gluten, food with more than 9 grams of sugar per serving, fats- except in small amount (1 tablespoon).

I don't eat fast food and stay away from most processed food.  My pouch is quite fussy (grouchy) and I've learned from frequent episodes of retching/vomiting -over the last 7 years, that I need to eat what my pouch "allows".

I get in my 80-100 grams of protein a day, but I do use whey isolate powder or ready to drink daily.

I just had an endoscopy with my bariatric surgeon and she said my pouch was small (2-3 ounces).

I'm gluten intolerant and have severe reactive hypoglycemia.

With that being said - even with restrictions - I have many choices of good nutrient dense food and live a normal life.

I'm very happy with my RNY.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

SpunkyK3
on 5/3/16 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info, Brian!  I know everyone is a bit different, but I've often wondered what someone's eating habits were once they were a few years out.  As of today, I'm just two months post surgery.  Right now, I'm having a really hard time trying to work solids into my diet.  Even scrambled eggs.  I've tried several things others have suggested, but I'm more comfortable sticking with my protein shakes and greek yogurt for my meals during the day.  I know I'm not getting the amount of protein in that they'd like but I'm comfortable and I have a ton of energy.  Way more energy than in the past!  I'm so excited to be down 40 lbs in two months and ... since I started in October with the dietician, I'm down 69 lbs!  I feel so much better, not to mention that I'm looking "normal" again.  Phew!

It's always a good to hear from people that are further out from surgery though.  Sometimes it feels like it's been longer than two months for me and I wonder if I'll ever get to eat anything somewhat "normal." 

Thanks again for your insight!

*****yk3

Tasia718
on 5/15/16 10:55 am
RNY on 04/13/16

My issues have been mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli and pork. Pre surg I absolutely LOVED broccoli. My pouch says no now. I'm looking for other alternatives food wise because I'm somewhat limited to chicken and that's about it. 

Start weight - 378 lbs

Surgery Weight - 368 lbs

5-13 - 340.2lbs

5-19 - 338.4lbs

Goal - 216lbs

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 532 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 358 views