Pain..... again..... update heading into surgery

Twill007
on 6/17/17 10:31 am, edited 6/18/17 1:08 pm
RNY on 06/07/17

Hello.

Last night I started noticing pain in my sides under my ribs, whenever I breath, stand up, walk, and when I drink/ "eat" anything. It's more so uncomfortable than actual pain. Feels like wearing a waist trainer too tight (I don't wear them but I have tried them on before). I've also only had 3 BM since I've been home and they are so spaced out. Senekot isn't really helping. When I use my spirometer (spelling) I still can't get it all the way up and I cough like crazy. The hospital I had my surgery at is 2 hours away and I definitely can't drive there in this condition. Also im burping like crazy still especially after fluids. Could it still be gas? Any advice?

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/17 11:09 am
RNY on 04/18/17

I had this after surgery and read that many others have as well. It is common and most likely residual gas from the surgery. Even now, I get a gas bubble somewhere that causes a pain in my back under my left shoulder blade. It sharpens when I take a deep breath, and moves around to the front under my rib, and then it seems to leave. Had it the past two days and it just resolved this morning.
Still, it would be a good idea to call your surgery team and talk to someone. Let them know what is happening and get their feedback. I was extremely scared by it until I read enough to understand that many WLS people go through it. You may also try Miralax to help move the bowels. It is a fine powder that mixes easily with fluid and is fairly tasteless. Many think it works better than most products.

sue1956
on 6/18/17 10:22 pm

Miralax works really well I had Back Surgery two yrs. ago and the Surgeon told to use it I use it with my coffee in the morning works great

bruindiva92
on 6/17/17 11:31 am
Revision on 03/29/17

Hi Twill007,

Sounds like you have trapped gas. I had a revision 3/29/17 and had the same feeling and I still burp today. Walking helps tremendously.

As soon as I came home, I started taking Miralax daily and Dulcolax twice daily. Kept me moving regularly. Find something that works soon because being backed up is no fun--first surgery, I didn't know this and it felt like I was passing a brick!

If the pain continues, please contact your team.

I wish you much success on your journey.

LynnAlex
on 6/17/17 12:22 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Miralax is good. Another thing to remember is if you are only on a liquid or soft food diet of maybe 6-8 oz for the entire day, there isn't going to be a lot coming out. If you feel constipated or you are pooping rabit pellets, try the miralax :) If you are burping after the liquids, it might be too much at one time, sip small amounts. Your nerves have been cut, things are still swollen inside, you don't feel restriction yet. So, take it slow.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

pollypat62
on 6/17/17 2:54 pm

Don't play with these symptoms. I had them for years and last week, I almost died. I had my RNY in 2005 and they were intermittent. My surgery was very successful and I'm considered tiny. I've kept the weight off all along, but at a great cost. Last week, I almost lost my life due to a rare defect that can crop up after laparoscopic RNY's. It's called a Petersen's Defect. Last year, on almost the same date, I was eating dinner. Once again, that uncomfortable sensation started again. It turned into the pain that I had become very accustomed to and started to become quite acute. No water or food would go down. It had happened so many times before and resolved, that I was sure that even though I was burping and in terrible pain, it would eventually go away. It didn't and I ended up waiting 11 hours in our local ER. My husband took me to another hospital in Roanoke where I was admitted immediately. Many tests were done including abdominal CT and endoscopy. They couldn't find the cause and said that I was totally impacted, although I had been having regular bowel movements and felt very healthy the week before. I was in the hospital in uncontrolled pain for 4 days and was unable to work for 2 months due to chronic fatigue. I continued to have pain just below the ribcage and the same uncomfortable sensations, just not the extreme pain. I had tons of tests in the last year that all turned up negative...but they didn't know what they were looking for.

Last week, the exact same symptom**** My husband took me to the hospital I stayed at in Roanoke for 4 days. Within 4 1/2 hours, I was being med-evaced to UVA Medical Center. I had no idea that I would die if I hadn't agreed to the transfer and I fought them. No one told me that I was definitely going to need surgery. Within hours I was being prepped and told that there was a possibility I might not make it because it had gone so long. The surgery was started laparoscopically and when that didn't work (they told me that they were pretty sure it wouldn't), they had to open me up. I'm now at home and doing a total reset. My energy level has been higher than it has in several years, and especially the last few months. I'm blessed and I'm a miracle.

Please find a way to get to the hospital now.

Teena D.
on 6/17/17 4:08 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

WOW! So glad you're okay.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/17 7:32 am

Unfortunately Peterson hernia is rather common post op RNY.

It can get very serious... And often does not show on cat scans, unless it is too late.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Suzanne_Paulette
on 6/18/17 9:13 am - Lamonte, MO

I've had a Petersen hernia for a year, as well as a gastric fistula. I've gained 90 pounds back, and I'm so angry no one was in a hurry to do surgery. I had to push them the entire way - every step. I have surgery Tuesday and I kind of can't wait to let them see why I've been in so much pain for a year! I'm glad they caught you in time. How scary!

Start weight (6/2011) 340

Low weight (2012-2016) 165

Recent HW 250

Revision Surgery 6/20/2017!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/17 7:30 am

I am 9 yrs post op . I get that if I get to constipated. Senekot - is a stimulating stuff- can cause more cramps and pain. I would never use that.

I use miralax every day. EVERY Day. Some days more, some less- depends how my gut feels, and if had good - complete BM out not.

Drinking a lot of liquids is a must. Now I can drink a lot... But even early on- when would get constipated - I would try to drink more liquids until things were moving much better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 493 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 365 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 75 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?