everything tastes different , even water! and not in a good way.

maeburke
on 8/29/17 6:21 pm

Has anyone else experienced a chemical taste in nose/mouth after surgery... was really strong for a couple of weeks...I am 5 weeks post-op.. have lost 40 lbs...I'm having a hard time with water and eating my soft diet because everything taste terrible... Will this go away?

cheapskate
on 8/29/17 6:45 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

it should. I had the same problem. I still cant really drink water. My surgeon said it had to do with fat burning. Not everyone has that problem, but it sure sucks for those of us who do!

JJonesy
on 8/29/17 6:47 pm
RNY on 08/22/17

I'm 7 days post op and have a really hard time with water too. I thought it was just me.

MeerKat1994
on 8/29/17 7:22 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Hmm. If you have a bad taste it may be because you're in ketosis. I know somewhere along the line in the first month I got the worst taste in my mouth- sort of metallic. Everything tasted so gross, especially water.

eventually it did go away. So take joy in that!

maeburke
on 8/29/17 8:50 pm

Thanks, right now it keeps me ok with the 1/4 to 1/2 cup I'm eating..lol But wouldn't want this for the rest of my life...Do you remember how long it took to go away?

MeerKat1994
on 8/29/17 9:46 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Maybe a few weeks? I'm not positive. But in the grand scheme of things it wasn't too long. And as someone said below, drink the water anyways. I found hot herbal tea, super super cold water, and Crystal Light were all options that made drinking it a little easier.

i landed in the ER for a bit because I didn't drink enough water. It's serious, so definitely shoulder through it.

Also, brush brush brush your tongue. It might look white and fuzzy. Try to get as much of that gunk off as you can (probably won't be much). And maybe pick yourself up some white tic tacs. I popped those little boogers day and night and it did help with the bad taste and weird breath.

on the bright side, it means your body is burning fat. So yay? Haha :)

Lishamc1
on 8/29/17 7:43 pm

I havent had my surgery yet, but this is my biggest fear. I have always been a water drinker, and can Deffinently tell the difference in waters.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/29/17 7:45 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is very likely ketosis. Even though water may taste funky, it's SUPER important to get plenty of fluids right now.

I used a baking-soda toothpaste and I remember it helped quite a bit. I was brushing three or four times a day, it's the only dental checkup I've had where my dentist didn't glare at me! :-D

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

maeburke
on 8/29/17 8:45 pm

thanks , I'll try that.

Librarian67
on 8/30/17 3:46 am
RNY on 02/28/17

It's not unusual for things to taste different after surgery. I still have some trouble drinking straigh****er. I still drink alot of herbal tea and some Crystal Light or Mio flavored water to get in my fluids.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 461 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics