Modified keto

turner3670
on 3/20/19 4:02 pm

Hi! I would like to try keto but modify the fat intake I just can't figure out where my macros should be it gets frustrating but I have to keep trying thanks

MLC45
on 3/21/19 7:36 am

I like others have gone back to basics on eating (high protein and veggies) along with exercise 5 times a week. The issue many doctors have with a keto diet is the high fat content. That can lead to different forms of heart disease like high cholesterol or arteriosclerosis. (I know everybody knows someone who's on keto and they don't have any heart issues, I'm not here to argue that point) However, even though I've gone back to basics, I find keto to be beneficial when I have those moments where I just crave something "naughty". Having a keto mug cake or cookie is much better than a regular dessert when those craving hit. By doing the typical post-op diet of protein first and veggies second with the occasional keto dessert, I've been able to drop almost all of my regain weight, and am on my way to reaching my final goal weight.

turner3670
on 3/21/19 2:39 pm

Hello did you do 1200 calories daily do you know where I could find post op diet it's been 19 years I don't quite remember the grams foods plans lol thank you

MLC45
on 3/21/19 6:03 pm

I saw that Kathy responded on your other thread about post-op diet and other activities like a food journal and such. I would follow her advise.

As for calorie intake, 1200 is barely under maintenance amount. You will lose weight, but it might take you a week to 10 days just to lose a pound. When you were post-op you probably did 400-600 per day. That's a little hard to do when you're so many years out. Most days I did around 700-800 calories. I drank a protein shake for breakfast and lunch, and then had a small dinner of protein and veggies. I dropped 60 pounds over the last 11 months. Currently I drink breakfast and eat a small lunch and dinner, since I'm getting closer to maintenance and not focused as much on weight loss. I didn't worry so much about calories. I just made sure I ate my protein first, then if I was still hungry I ate my veggies. By the time I did that I was full and usually under 800 calories.

turner3670
on 3/21/19 6:12 pm

Oh im definately going to tate her advice so 1200 is maintenance I should stay at about 800 if I'm understanding correctly thank you

Amy R.
on 3/21/19 6:42 pm, edited 3/21/19 11:47 am

"so 1200 is maintenance I should stay at about 800"

Be careful. I don't think the poster was giving you those numbers as hard and fast rules, but as examples. Calorie targets are influenced by a couple of things. One being height, the other being activity. And then obviously the final determination will also take into account your goal weight and how fast you want to get there.

edited: it might help if you gave us an example of what a day's eating looks like for you now, as well as some physical details like height and goal weight. People can be more specific when more info is provided. Frankly there are those who must eat less than 1000 calories to maintain. So the 1200 number doesn't apply to those folks. The same holds for how many calories you eat while losing.

I think you'll see even more feedback if you will give that type of data. Good luck to you. It's not impossible to lose regain by any means, even if you're way out.

turner3670
on 3/22/19 3:03 pm

Hi thanks well I'm going to try to include my daily intake I can't seem to get to 1200 without going over carbs and fats my nutritionist is not helping at this time she rarely gets back with me so idk I'm a bit lost

turner3670
on 3/22/19 3:21 pm

MLC45
on 3/21/19 7:14 pm

I didn't say 1200 IS maintenance I said is was only a little under maintenance. Maintenance varies from person to person. A lot of women can eat anywhere from 1300-1500 and maintain their current weight, so 1200 isn't that much of a difference. Yes you will lose weight, but it will be slow (which is fine) however, some people can get discouraged if they don't see the weight coming off faster than a few pounds a month. I am one of those people who would get discouraged, so it was important for me to see results quickly to stay motivated. I hope that cleared things up a bit.

turner3670
on 3/22/19 2:54 pm

Yes thank you.I too am one of those people that gets discouraged very quickly